Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cool ways to surprise kiddo with car?

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM
  • 21 Replies

Our girl is 17 and just passed her driver's test a few weeks ago.

We decided last week to get her a car for high school graduation, but last night we thought it's best that we give it to her early so she could enjoy it now during her senior year. We thought a Honda Civic is a nice first car, it's what lots of kids seem to have.

But it's going to be a surprise, so should we just go pick one out for her and bring it home, or give her like a card with a car shaped coupon in it, so she can pick her own color, 4 or 2 door etc? Or do you have a better idea? I'm getting so excited because we'll do it this weekend, I just want to make sure it's a super awesome surprise.

Thanks for your opinion!

by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cowboygal
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2009 at 5:13 PM

My dad had my sisters delivered to her open house party. Maybe you could check into that. Of course, u will have no open house but maybe have it waiting there her first day back to school in the morning or in the evening. 

This signature is very tall. Try to keep it shorter than this green section.
mommyto3in08
by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I would leave little hints :o) !! I would get her a Key ring.
Then I would  get her seat covers,  then I would get her like a car washing kit.and leave it all over the place.     lol Im silly though

Rychelle
by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 5:14 PM

ohh toughy!!   it would be nice for her to pick out her color and model, but there is NOTHING like being surprised with an actual car!! ive had it done twice.. once wheni got my licence and once my husband bought me my SUV as a surprise gift. nothign like seeinga shiny new car with a big red bow on it ! LOL i think that if you know your daughter well then you will know what color and style she would like.. so i say just go buy and and get a big red bow!!!!

geminishadow79
by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 5:20 PM

maybe you could tell her that you and hubby are getting a new car and take her with you.  I'm sure she'll have lots of input on what you should get that would be based on what she really likes.  OR just ask her if she was picking it out what would she want.  Then you would have a good idea what to buy

KBM99
by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM
I'm young and I was surprised with my first car. And I loved it but my parents asked me kinda what car I wanted what color and all the details.. I got a fully loaded white jetta and I LOVED it!! Until it started breaking down then I went car shopping with them for my graduation car present haha. But I loved being surprised. I got it on my 16th birthday when my whole family and all of my friends went out to eat with me. My parents made me go out to the car to get something and when I walked outside there was this car with a pink bow on it.. I was SO HAPPY!! It was funny. I would just kind of ask her what colors and stuff and I was looking into a Honda Civic and Accord but then got kinda a SUV type car which was a lot better on me since I have kids haha. But I would get her a 4 door not a 2 door so it will last her a LOT longer.. A bunch of my friends had 2 door cars and hated them because its so hard to get people in and out of the back seats..
sammy678
by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 5:27 PM

You're probably right about that feeling of seeing the car with the big bow on it. Never happened to me, but I bet it would be awesome!

And I do think I know about what  she would want, it's hubby that hesitates on that idea. Men are so practical...

Quoting Rychelle:

ohh toughy!!   it would be nice for her to pick out her color and model, but there is NOTHING like being surprised with an actual car!! ive had it done twice.. once wheni got my licence and once my husband bought me my SUV as a surprise gift. nothign like seeinga shiny new car with a big red bow on it ! LOL i think that if you know your daughter well then you will know what color and style she would like.. so i say just go buy and and get a big red bow!!!!

volmomof3
by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 5:30 PM

id just pick one and surprise her. with a big red bow on it. it shouldn't matter if she picks colors and such bc she should appreciate the fact she got a new car to begin with =)

Luna091306
by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM

My parents drove mine home. I remember seeing it when they pulled in and thinking who's car is that? Then when they walked through the door they handed me the keys and said it's yours! That was enough to having me flipping with excitement.

"Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings, who don't have all the answers, to think they do."

Luna091306
by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 5:34 PM

It's one of the most amazing feelings in the world!

Quoting sammy678:

You're probably right about that feeling of seeing the car with the big bow on it. Never happened to me, but I bet it would be awesome!

And I do think I know about what  she would want, it's hubby that hesitates on that idea. Men are so practical...

Quoting Rychelle:

"Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings, who don't have all the answers, to think they do."

saralouise
by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

you could pick one out that looks really similar to a matchbox car....get an old car key and put a string on it that she has to follow and put the matchbox car on the end of it. she'd get all excited thinking eh was gettin a real car and got the matchbox car. be all disappoiinted and go back insid. then later park the car right where the matchbox car was with a bow on it and let her discover it on her own. :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN