Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Car seat ?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:42 AM
  • 13 Replies

So I know when you are in an accident you are to replace your carseat. Is that all accidents? DF backed up into a car passing behind him in a parking lot. He has a ton of damage to his car. DS wasnt in the car at the time. Should he still replace the car seat?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaleah17
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:45 AM

I am pretty sure even in a minor accident you need to replace the seat.

mynamewastaken
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:45 AM

I have never heard of that. I got into an a wreck and never replaced mine. If there is no damage to it why would you?

jonesyj08
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Yes. The problem is when you get into an accident, it weakens the car seat in places you can't see. That's why most places won't take used car-seats that have been in accidents. I was in an accident in June, and the only reason we didn't reaplace the car-seat was because we 3 days away from changing my daughter over to FF. My parents had already bought her new car-seat and i wasn't going to go buy a new one, just to have them give one to her for her b-day 3 days later.

If you're not sure though, you can always take ti down to your local health department, police department, or hospital and 9 times out of 10 they will look it over for you and tell you wheither it needs replaced or not.

momma2-3boys
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Yes, especially if there was damage done to the car.  I know some people claim it in the insurance claim and get money back to replace the car seat. 

You can also call the car seat manufacturer and they will tell you their own guidelines when it comes to an accident. 

BarbiePooted
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:00 AM

my insurance company said it didn't need to be replaced since there was no damage done to it.

OneToughMami
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:02 AM

i wasn't told to do that. it must be some new safety discovery. they are always finding out new things i guess.

I'm a hybrid dolphin. Are you?

Andie.
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:07 AM

It depends.  Call the company - they will ask you a bunch of questions and tell you if you need to replace or not.  They'll even send a letter for your insurance stating it needs to be replaced. 

There can be damage that you cannot see.

sweetktn
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:10 AM

I believe that rule is only for major accidents, backing into someone doesn't count. At least it doesn't seem that bad in my mind. If you are unsure call your local social services/human services department and ask them who to talk to for a car seat check. They will check over the car seat to make sure it's still safe and nothing is damaged or broken on it.

Lilypie
heatherann0221
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:16 AM

You should always replace a car seat after an accident because there can be unseen damage that will cause the seat to not work properly if it is in an accident again. Even if your kids were not in the seats, they were buckled in to the car right? I wouldn't take any chances. It even says in my car seat manual to replace it after an accident. Your insurance co. should reimburse you.

wedding web site

BrTupac
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:17 AM

My mom was in a car accident a while back and the first question the insurance asked her was if there was a car seat in the vehicle.  It was not very bad of an accident but her insurance company said it doesn't matter, you still need to replace any car seats that were in the vehicle.  I would say that if damage was done to the car, you should at very least call the company (car seat manufacturer) and ask them.  I would rather pay to replace the seat than have it fail in an accident.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)