Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spinoff -- For Public School Moms...

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:27 AM
  • 62 Replies

My dd is starting Kindergarten this year (at the same public school I went to) and I've been reading the many school posts here.  It's interesting to see how different families make decisions for their kids--I think we all do what we feel is best for our child/ren.  Anyways, in another post the homeschool moms were asked why they decided to homeschool and one mentioned that someone should ask the public school moms the same question "why public school?"  I don't think its been asked so here it is!!!  Why public school over homeschooling, private, parochial etc.?

I'll answer later....right now I have to get my little one ready for the day.

sids ribbon     Marjie       briefcase

Mommy to Rosemary 5 years old ~~ Best Friend to Winnie the Basset Hound

Mom to Quads: Joseph, Patrick. Mairead & Roisin (Born Too Soon ~ Remembered Always)

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsmilfy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:30 AM

I do not homeschool, because I am not equipped to teach , I think my child is better off attending a public school. Plus I do not want to be a SAHM forever.

I would love to send my kids to private school, once our finances are in better shape I would love to send my younger kids to private school (especially during the high school years like I did).

M0M0F03
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:30 AM

I'm not a teacher. I do not have the patience to teach my children at home, and be fair to them.

MrsTabangcura
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:36 AM

I send them to public school to get away from them.....lol

momsbreak5654
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:48 AM

I choose to send my children to public school because that is the real world.  Public school presents an opportunity for a vast array of challenges socially, educationally, and culturally, which I feel you can not get home schooled. 

I am also not equipped to school my children.  I cannot teach physics, calculus, french, or chemistry.  I honestly dont know to many ppl that are equipped to teach all those difficult subject properly.

Kids need other kids to socially develop.  Consistent exposure to varing ethnic, cultural, economically challenged or gifted children helps provide my children with an understanding of the varients in population.  It also gives them influence on personality development (no I dont want my kids just like me).

Thats why I choose public schools ;)

I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be happy.  I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be compassionate,.  It is above all, to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have made some diffference that you lived at all~Leo Rosten

highbridgemom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:49 AM

I public school b/c I cant afford to private school or home school. Not that DH would be very supportive of us homeschooling anyways....

smiley630
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:53 AM

We built our house so my son can go to the same school I went to.  I like the idea of public school because it will get my son to socialize with others, it allows me some me time(selfish reason I know).  But the school system is great here and his school offers some classes that others in the area don't like BAND, CHOIR, and ART  K -12 is on the same campus, and he knows at least 10 teachers outside of school.  2 are his aunts, 3 are people that go to our church, and the others we know from them being my friends from school. 

TattedMommyof2
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:53 AM
I send them to public school for a few reasons. A) I am not a teacher. My kids would not benefit from me being their teacher.
B) I do not have the money for private school. C) Homeschooling your kids does not teach them social skills. Kids need to get out into the real world. D) I need a break from them and they need a break from me.
retsillacam
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:54 AM

I do not have the patience to home school. Plus it's expensive.

wiener
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:56 AM

I'm going to public school my kids

1.) I dont have the luxury of staying home to home school my kids, I need to work to pay bills.

2.) me a teacher yeah right.

3.) I want my children to get out of the house, I want them to meet and make new friends at school, I want them to have a prom, be-able to play school sports, enter into a science fair. interact with other kids. learn that not every person you meet is going to like you. their are bullies out their. come home from school and tell me what they learned that day and what happend.  I dont want my child to end up like my neighbors kid who is home schooled.  No friends his own age, shy, and afraid of whats outside his house ( I'm not saying all home schooled children are like this). I want my child to experience the real world. i live in a small community and want my child to get out and into the public 4 - 5 days a week. not just when their parents plan a field trip with other home schooled children

4.) my hard earned tax money goes to public schooling so I might as well get somthing that I'm paying for

5.) Because I can

Nicole
jennamil47
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:59 AM

I chose public school because I can't afford to homeschool. Unfortunately I have to work.  Also I do not feel qualified to homeschool my child.  I feel she would get a better education being taught by someone that has their teaching degree.  I never have been good at trying to teach anyone anything. 

preview image

proud working mom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)