Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son...should I be doing more??

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:23 AM
  • 12 Replies

So my son is 11 months old and he is my first. I hear about all these other children who have said more than "mama" and "dada", who are already walking and waving "bye" and they are the same age as my son. He says "mama" and "dada" discriminately and he pulls himself up and "cruises". He walks around the table as long as he is holding onto it. He stands by himself for a few moments and then he either sits or grabs ahold of something. Should I be doing more educationally? I try to read to him as much as possible and when we play I will tell him the names of everthing he touches. But I am just overly paranoid I guess and I want to make sure I am doing enough for him.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mnmsmom2008
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:25 AM

He sounds just right to me.  My girls never said much until they were closer to 2 years old and they're both super smart kids :)

lizmarie1975
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:26 AM

It sounds like he's doing fine!  Playing is the best type of learning at his age.  He learns so much about textures, colors, shapes...just by playing.  Keep doing what you're doing!

krystlzd3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:26 AM

He is fine, don't worry. My oldest did less than that, at that age. He will catch up. If you are that worried, talk to your doctor.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

713mommyofthree
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:27 AM

HE SOUNDS RIGHT ON TRACK TO ME 

Teespot
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Your son is fine....he is only11 month...and I think he is doing plenty...I babysat a one year old yesterday....and he is doing the same as yours....he did get a lil help from the Dane he held on to him and walked...lol...there is nothing wrong with your baby...some are faster then others and some are slower....boys in perticular...my Grandkids...now 6-4-2 are so different...the 2 year old Girls is way ahead of the two boys at her age....

sgeorge0505
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:33 AM

He is probably a few weeks away from walking. What we did was put my son's favorite toy in front of him when he was standing to encourage him to take a step. But he sounds like he is developing just fine. Right now he probably thinks the way he is communicating with you is working just fine and he will start talking a little later.

HoweryMama
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:34 AM

I just dont want him to be behind. It makes me feel like a bad mom or something.  I work 8a-6p Mon. - Fri. and I just worry that he is not learning enough on the day to day. I am losing out on a lot of time with him but I want to make sure his mind doesnt turn to mush or something. I know it sounds silly but I really want to make sure he has a bright future and wont ever be held back or behind his peers.

mom2ljh
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:35 AM

You're doing FINE.  Its perfectly normal to only have a couple words (or even no words) at his age.  As for walking, the NORMAL range is 12-17 months, so any child who walks before that is actually an early walker.  My son walked at 15 months and there are absolutely *no* concerns with his gross motor skills.

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

lvlouisvuitton
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Your doing fine. He is right on track. There are kids your sons age who dont even cruise. Dont worry =)

♥ organic, delayed vaccine giving, extended rear facing stay at home mama!

TTC #2

RMott
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:37 AM

NO WORRIES! I have 3 boys and everyone of them developed differently. My youngest son, who is 1 yr and 6weeks just started walking steadily. My other 2 started walking before they were 1. Also my 1 yr old only says a few words and my oldest one, who is now 6, was saying a lot more at 1. If he is pulling himself up and saying mama  and dada then he is right on track. Besides, your doctor will tell you if you need to work on something. Good luck. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)