Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It should be common sense but don't cook your kids.

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM
  • 23 Replies

You would think that people would have the sense to know that a car gets very hot very quickly in warm weather. I thought I would post just how quickly and how hot. Leaving a child in the car is dangerous regardless of weather but it baffles me why anyone would do it in the heat.  People do it though.

Few understand just how quickly a car can heat up, even on a moderate day.

According to one study, the temperature inside a vehicle can rise more than 40 degrees in the span of an hour, with 80% of that increase occurring during the first half hour. And researchers found that cracking the windows did little to help.

Children, often too young to escape, are particularly vulnerable because their immature respiratory and circulatory systems do not manage heat as efficiently as adults'. After a short time, the skin grows red and dry, the body becomes unable to produce sweat, and heat stroke kills the child.

So if it is 95 degrees out, 30 minutes after leaving your car, it could be as hot as 127 degrees! Imagine sitting in that kind of heat with no escape.

We are all shades of gray. It’s been said again and again; life’s a process. We are fleeting moments that come and go, and I am grateful to have my time, my aspirations and my mistakes, my flaws and my abilities. Think of me what you will, but before you do, don’t. Alexander William Gaskarth

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamasangels2009
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I would never leave my child in any vehicle no matter what the temperature outside was. I never realized how hot it gets in a car. 127 degrees is too freaking hot for anyone much less a child. People dont have the common sense or respect for their children these days. I am not saying all but a mom or dad that does this I mean come on. It didnt take a brain scientist to figure out not to leave a child alone in a hot car. Hell dont leave them alone in a car in any weather for that matter. You never know what could happen.

LoudMouthMomma
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:15 AM

This is a very serious matter, but I literally LOL when I read the title of your post!

Jynnifer292
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Quoting LoudMouthMomma:

This is a very serious matter, but I literally LOL when I read the title of your post!

Got your attention. smile

We are all shades of gray. It’s been said again and again; life’s a process. We are fleeting moments that come and go, and I am grateful to have my time, my aspirations and my mistakes, my flaws and my abilities. Think of me what you will, but before you do, don’t. Alexander William Gaskarth

eddysmommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:23 AM

i would never leave my child in the car no matter the weather. im afraid that some one will drive off with my kid. i have seen babies in a car alone and the car is still on.

pregnancy

OwensMama824
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:23 AM

What about when the baby is sleeping with all of the windows open and mom is like... 20 feet away? Like if my son falls asleep in the car w/ the windows open and I don't want to wake him so I park out front of my apartment building and sit on the front stoop for a while. Let's say it's about 80 outside.

Yeah it's a stupid question but I have done it, is it the same or kind of ok for a short period?

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

lovetwins89
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

I wish their was the sort of movement for awareness of the dangers of a hot car like there is for, say....carseats. imagine how many idiots could be educated, how many kids would not be cooked in a car if people were aware....

STEPHANIE

lovetwins89
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Quoting OwensMama824:

What about when the baby is sleeping with all of the windows open and mom is like... 20 feet away? Like if my son falls asleep in the car w/ the windows open and I don't want to wake him so I park out front of my apartment building and sit on the front stoop for a while. Let's say it's about 80 outside.

Yeah it's a stupid question but I have done it, is it the same or kind of ok for a short period?

don't post a pic of this if he is in a carseat. THAT is when the real dram will ensue.

STEPHANIE

Jynnifer292
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:33 AM

It likely wouldn't get as hot but the windshield and back window still magnify the sun and contain the heat some, more so if it is dark interior. Plus there is no air circulation when the car is still. I wouldn't leave him in the car even though you are watching. If it is not sunny or it is windy out and there is a breeze, it might be fine. The only way you could really tell is if you sit in the car with him and realize that he has less tolerance than you. If you are not comfortable, he is even less so.

Quoting OwensMama824:

x_sabine_x
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Yeah, i just saw a story on the news about that. They put raw cookies on a cookie sheet, and put them on the dash of a car in only 75 degree weather and in about an hour the cookies were done!!!

-Ellen-

peepszaya
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:38 AM

When my kids were little I would do this, Only we had a van so I would just slide the side door open.

Quoting OwensMama824:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)