Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yellow Number 2 Pencils and plain colored folders

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM
  • 27 Replies

Why does it matter if a child has different colored pencils or a super hero on his folder or notebook?  If it makes them happy and makes them want to use the item and look forward to school what the hell is it hurting?  I used to love back to school shopping and having things that reflected my personality and now we get to buy plain everything.  It's so boring.  I figure as long as it writes and you can put paper in in who cares what it looks like.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
allurasmamma
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Plain folder are just about the same price as the colored ones. But I always loved the plain ones because I could decorate them myself. But my son can have what he likes. As long as it is not a $5 folder.

All my love, All my life.

Madison,clayton,allura.

All my love, All my life.

LoudMouthMomma
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Tell me about it! My son is gonna be in first grade and is bored to death with school shopping! We had to get plain folders as well, AND plastic! God forbid it's a paper folder!

sierracarlisle

That is pretty lame. Kids should be able to express themselves. I remember getting excited about the same things. I am pretty sure it has to do with the whole distraction thing.That would be my guess.

peepszaya

I know what you mean...My dd back to school list said she had to have 5 folders...one red, one blue, one green, one yellow and one white...I can't find a plain white one anywhere! So she got orange and if the school wants her to have a white one that bad they can give it to her. 

joshlor2
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM

they ask for those because usually they throw them all in a pile and us ethem as needed they sdon;t have the space for the kids to keep all their stuff in their own desks and keep it neat and the teachers don't have time to go look for little timmys batman folder to replace te folder he just ripped...KWIM   it also helps cut down on teasing

Thats why i let my kids pick out their new backpacks lunchboxes and shoes and stuff that way they are excited and happy about what they get to have in school still get to me them and have theor own style and i can comply with the schools request for plain pencils

sherry132
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM

It is to keep the kids who are financially better off from standing out from those that are in financial trouble. It's actually to keep the teasing down. It sucks for kids but it works.

Vannahbugsmommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I used to look forward every year when I was little to show off my LISA FRANK pencils, and folders! It always made school shopping fun and got me excited about going back to school To get all new Fun Stuff. I do Understand about the teasing, However kids are mean they will find something else to pick about.

mom22tumblebugs
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Because kids fight over things like that. Haven't you heard "It's not fair that Johnny has a Batman folder and I don't".... If you haven't, then you need to listen more. By having simple plain stuff it levels the playing field and lessens the kids from having to move their disiplinary card from green to yellow, or yellow to red (loses a privledge). not to mention some supplies are shared. Much easier and takes less time to put a can of pencils on a table and let the kids pick on, than to have all the students get up, get their pencil box, return to the table, settle down.. etc More time can be spent on the teacher actually TEACHING instead of playing referee.

Anyone who volunteers in the classroom, and works with the kids as a classroom helper has a better understanding of why things are done they way they are and why certain things are asked for on the supply list.

Be a classroom helper. It is quite enlightening...

And for those that gripe about the cost of supplies etc. Join the PTO and attend the school board's Finance Committee meetings so know where the tax and state dollars are going to be spent and how difficult it is to balance the school budget.

jillbailey26

The younger kids start to complain, "I want that one."  What the teacher does is takes all the supplies and puts them together.  If there are 3 pencils that are shiny and colorful out of a box of plain yellow pencils, the 18 kids in the class will fight over those 3 pencils.  Same with folders. 

They can be "individuals" when they get older and grow out of that phase.  As they advance in school their supplies will start to remain with them.  I don't see how a pencil and folder makes you an individual anyway, it's supposed to be the person who sets themselves aside, not the things they have.

*God may delay, but is never departed*

bluesky51201

Not really, children will still find something to tease about.  They can still make fun of someone for not having whatever shoes or a cool snack to bring to school, or something.  It just sucks that I have to buy more supplies now.  I had a lot of leftovers last year and I can't use them because the notebooks have Spiderman and the pencils have Cars on them.  God forbid he express a little individuality.

Quoting sherry132:

It is to keep the kids who are financially better off from standing out from those that are in financial trouble. It's actually to keep the teasing down. It sucks for kids but it works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)