Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Got a quick medical type question for you ladies. Please answer and/or bump.

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM
  • 6 Replies
A week ago this past Monday, my husband cut himself at work. He cuts meat, and was using the saw on a piece when the meat slipped and rolled and his hand went into the saw blade. He pulled it back quickly, but not before it cut him. It's a fairly deep cut. The store manager took him to the ER (worker's comp). Well, they didn't put any stitches in it, although I really think it needed some. They didn't even use the glue that they use now. All they did was put a few steri-strips on it and let him go. Well, the strips have come off and there is a big chunk out of it, where the worst of the cut is. It doesn't look healed up at all. He asked his manager and was told that he would have to go back to the ER to have it looked at again. I hate to go to the ER for something that is not really an emergency. My question is, do you think that I should take him back to the ER? Will they even do anything, since it's been over a week since the cut happened?
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mena929
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I would go, especially since workman's comp is taking care of it.

2busymomof3
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Does your husband have a regular doctor?  Do you have any urgent care centers in the area.  I do think you should have him go and have it looked at but maybe not the ER if you can help it.  But then if you think he may have an infection or something he should go wherever he can. Just my opinion...I'd go somewhere to have it looked at.  And if there was a chunk missing they couldn't do stitches or glue....there's nothing to 'close' if something is missing, right?

MommyAnnaBanana
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM

He needs to go wherever his workman's comp tells him to go.  They are responsible for any bills.  A lot of times your own doctor can see him so long as it is under workman's comp and not your regular insurance. 

Is he union?  If so his union rep can tell him where to go.

mommyannabanana

orcadarwin
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:22 AM
The chunk wasn't missing when he cut it. It came off right after the strips came off.

Quoting 2busymomof3:

Does your husband have a regular doctor?  Do you have any urgent care centers in the area.  I do think you should have him go and have it looked at but maybe not the ER if you can help it.  But then if you think he may have an infection or something he should go wherever he can. Just my opinion...I'd go somewhere to have it looked at.  And if there was a chunk missing they couldn't do stitches or glue....there's nothing to 'close' if something is missing, right?

orcadarwin
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:24 AM
No, he's not in a union. Worker's Comp will only pay for an ER visit. I'm just wondering if it would be worth our time and effort going back to the ER, will they even do anything about it. The cut doesn't look like it's healed at all.

Quoting MommyAnnaBanana:

He needs to go wherever his workman's comp tells him to go.  They are responsible for any bills.  A lot of times your own doctor can see him so long as it is under workman's comp and not your regular insurance. 

Is he union?  If so his union rep can tell him where to go.

orcadarwin
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:38 AM
bump.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)