Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cord blood?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:44 AM
  • 11 Replies
I wanted to bank my babys cord blood but its so expensive! So ive decided to donate it but idk who i contact about it! Do any of u ladies know?
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof2boysmd
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:05 AM
Bump
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:51 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms
Infant/Baby Groups 
medical questions

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

butterflyblu
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Hi, I am donating my baby's cord blood too.  We do not have a history of any genetic disorders or cancer, plus it's expensive to store!   All I did was do a google search of "cord blood banking" then I put in my area.  So for example "cord blood banking Los Angeles, CA".  And a site came up for a cord blood bank in my area.  Not all hospitals participate.  You can also start by asking your OB.  They typically will have resources of who to contact for donation.  The hospital I delivered my first son at did not participate in public donation, but I'm so happy the hospital I'm delivering my second son at does.  I just filled out the paperwork and am really excited about it. 

mommyof2boysmd
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:10 PM
Thank u so much
jmsmrs
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM

You could instead opt to delay cord clamping/cutting and allow your baby to have the rest of his or her blood.  There's significant health benefits for your baby.

MarissasMommy20
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I lokoed into donating it with my first, born 2006, but from what i remember it was still quite expensive just to DONATE it! Maybe its different now

RypTyd1999
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Ask your OB. My son was born in Orlando, FL at Winnie Palmer and we donated his cord blood, but my daughter was born in Marietta, GA at Kennestone and we were unable to donate hers because they don't accept donations.  :-)

I didn't have to fill out anything, I just told them I wanted to donate it. It didn't cost me a penny.

Alison_C
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM

It's expensive to donate, too, but there are some hospitols that do it for free. I kinda think my doctor took the cord blood without telling me. It's kinda weird, but I don't mind.

beaugrl0824
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I have a friend that works for the local Eye and Tissue bank and they accept cord blood donations woth you having first crack at it if you need it, they also accept the placenta if you opt too 

butterflyblu
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Cord blood donation is FREE.  Cord blood banking for your own personal use does have a fee.  The initial collection fee can be between $1000-1500 and then about $120 a year to store it.  But that is if you want/need the blood for your own personal use.  Donating should never cost a dime and if someone is asking you for money to donate your baby's cord blood, it's not legit.  Donating your baby's cord blood allows it to go into a national database and you will never see it again.  It's just like donating blood or platelets.   But otherwise, if you do not donate the blood or store it for your own personal use, it gets thrown in the trash which is such a waste because someone could benefit from it.  Cord blood is a relatively new thing and not all hospitals participate, but hopefully that will change in the future.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)