Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mirena side effects

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:50 AM
  • 37 Replies
Hi...I just wanted to share with you moms...I had the mirena put in 1.5 years ago...now I have developed severe and debilitating migraines, can't lose a pound (I eat better/healthier than 95% of the country and exercise 3-6x per week triathlon participant), plus other side effects.

Think and do research before getting it...it sounded like a great idea, but I didn't check out the side effects. There are lots of forums of people talking about the side effects.

Here is a good site to read about how and why these side effects are happening to many women:
http://mirena-awareness.synthasite.com/research-and-side-effects.php

Mine is coming out on Tuesday. What a mistake. :(
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southernjess3
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:51 AM

yeah..thats why i dont do hormonal bc..lol

Jkazy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:53 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that! I've heard of a lot of side effects, mostly pregnancy. lol
Vantrice
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Yep, I had mine removed after about 2 yrs also.  It worked for the time that I needed it, but we decided we were having no more kids, so I got it removed, and hubby got fixed.  Now, no more hormones for me ;)

bnj03
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I just have to deal with mine until Janurary when DF will be getting fixed. We are waiting for when he does season lay-off and when we get back from Florida. I am excited and can't wait. My reg. doctor wants me to get it taken out now because he thinks that is part of my health problems but understands that we want to do as much as possible to not get pregnant again.

megancalista
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Wow, thank you. I was considering it. I need to get something. My hubby won't get fixed (such a wimp! I had a baby!!!) and we have no intentions of having another one. I refuse to take anything out of me (ovaries, uterus, or even just tubes tied). Now I have to try and find something else. lol

Vantrice
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Quoting megancalista:

Wow, thank you. I was considering it. I need to get something. My hubby won't get fixed (such a wimp! I had a baby!!!) and we have no intentions of having another one. I refuse to take anything out of me (ovaries, uterus, or even just tubes tied). Now I have to try and find something else. lol

The procedure is not nearly as bad as it used to be.  We went to FL where there is a dr that does the "no scalpel" procedure, and it was easy.  I watched it myself!  DH was playing soft-ball two days later.  Just a little bit of "achey balls" LOL.  No biggie.  It worked out great for us! I create 2 babies at a time though, so needless to say he was begging ME to LET him get it done.

little.miss.mom
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I have been very happy with my mirena. I had cramping and spotting for the first couple of months but then it went away. I have not had a period in over a year been losing weight 15 lbs and 8 inches in 2 months. Remember no two people are alike and it will affect everyone differently.

dswarila
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 4:08 PM

I am having it put in on Sept. 4th. Do you know the persentage of women who experience the side effects?

treehugger823
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I'm sorry that happened to you. I had the mirena for almost 2 years and the only side effect was no periods... a side effect i could live with!

pregnancy due date
Vantrice
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM

Quoting dswarila:

I am having it put in on Sept. 4th. Do you know the persentage of women who experience the side effects?

I did have mine taken out, BUT I didn't really have the side effects some of the other ladies are talking about.  The only problem I REALLY had w/ mine was that I had "painful sex" .  I went to the doc about it twice, and each time she said everything was fine, and come to find out I had a slightly "tilted uterus".  When my DH decided that he was having a vasectomy, I figured there was no reason for me to have the Mirena, so that's when I had mine taken out.  All in all, it did work well for me.  There were some other reasons I had mine taken out as well, but those reasons are pertaining to how the Mirena actually works, could be controversial, but just my personal decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)