Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mamas with kids going back to school..thought i would share

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:54 AM
  • 5 Replies

i was looking for some fun craft to do with my dd this yr and came across a few things i thought i would share them with you mamas if you interested

Lunch bags

What you'll need:

• Small canvas bag (11”x9”x3”)
  • Foam stamps (smiley face, bugs and letters for name)
  • Fabric paint (yellow, green, pink, purple, orange, light blue, black)
  • 3-D fabric paint (recommended: Tulip Extreme 3D Fashion Paint in Ignorange and
    Paradise Pink)
  • Paintbrushes (thin and medium)
  • Fabric hook-and-loop fasteners (recommended: Velcro)
  • Sewing needle
  • Thread to match canvas bag
  • Wax paper

How to make it:

1. Line inside of canvas bag with wax paper.
  2. Line up alphabet foam stamps on top of bag to decide where you want the child’s name to be. Once you are happy with the placement, paint the foam letter stamps purple, one at a time, and carefully press down on to the canvas bag. Lift stamp straight up to remove. Repeat for entire name.
  3. Paint a smiley face stamp with yellow paint. Apply to the bottom right corner of the bag in the same manner as described in step 1.
  4. Paint bug stamps with different colors (pink and purple for a butterfly, yellow and purple for ladybug, and so on) and decorate the rest of the bag.
  5. Use a paintbrush to touch up any areas that the stamps may have missed.
  6. Use paintbrush to add any details to bugs, such as dots on backs, antennas, or decorations on wings.
  7. When paint has dried, use 3-D fabric paint tubes to pipe a border around the smiley face (recommended: Tulip Extreme 3D Fashion Paint in Ignorage) and the child’s name (recommended: Tulip Extreme 3D Fashion Paint in Paradise Pink).
  8. Place bag in a safe place to dry overnight.
  9. Sew fabric hook-and-loop fasteners to the inside lip of the bag to keep it closed.

Tips:

• While our project is geared toward a girl, you can easily adapt this project for a boy by using primary colors, bugs, cars, or sport stamps.
  • If you don’t have fabric paint, you can use acrylic craft paint mixed with textile medium. You can fix textile medium at your local craft store, simply follow the mixing instructions on the bottle.
  • You can wash your lunch bag on gentle in the washing machine, lay flat to dry.
  • Foam journal or other notebook
  • Foam letters (available as stickers)
  • Foam shapes (we used flower and sport themes)
  • Wiggle eyes
  • Craft jewels
  • Fabric paint tubes
  • White craft glue

Tips:

• Many foam shapes are available as stickers now, eliminating the need for the glue and making it easier for smaller children to participate.
  • Foam journals, stickers and shapes are readily available at craft supply stores. You can find them in discount department stores, but selections are not nearly as large.
  • If you child isn’t sure how he/she would like to decorate their journal, have them lay everything out on the cover first. Encourage them to move items around until they are happy with their design. Keep the items all in place and glue each one down one by one.

hope you enjoy

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
shecallsmemom04
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM

neat!!!!

bumping so i can come back and look at it better later.

i DESPISE stupid people, and i DESPISE stupid people unwilling to educate themselves even more!!!!!!!

Beautiful__mama
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM

i thought they were so cute and fun and easy for the kids to do i love the journal ya know for little kids they can write down and draw a pic of something they did that day at school such a fun away to learn about your kids day ya know.and the lunch bad im going to make one for my dd only we arent going to use it for her lunch she doesnt go to school yet

Quoting shecallsmemom04:

neat!!!!

shecallsmemom04
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:06 AM

we love doing arts and crafts together.  i'm always looking for new ideas.  i really like the lunch bag.  and my daughter is really creative, so she'd like the journal.

Quoting Beautiful__mama:

i thought they were so cute and fun and easy for the kids to do i love the journal ya know for little kids they can write down and draw a pic of something they did that day at school such a fun away to learn about your kids day ya know.and the lunch bad im going to make one for my dd only we arent going to use it for her lunch she doesnt go to school yet

Quoting shecallsmemom04:

neat!!!!

i DESPISE stupid people, and i DESPISE stupid people unwilling to educate themselves even more!!!!!!!

Beautiful__mama
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:11 AM

here is the wesite i found this stuff at they have aton of really cute thing http://crafts.kaboose.com/summertime-journals.html

Quoting shecallsmemom04

we love doing arts and crafts together.  i'm always looking for new ideas.  i really like the lunch bag.  and my daughter is really creative, so she'd like the journal.

Quoting Beautiful__mama:

Quoting shecallsmemom04:

neat!!!!

Beautiful__mama
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:28 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)