Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

government to pay?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:03 AM
  • 25 Replies

So Dh and I were talking last night and he told me that under Obama's new healthcare "reform", among other things being snuck in are a few I found really crazy. 

1)  The tax payers will pay for unions to continue to provide PRIVATE insurance for their members.

2)  When the plan is enacted, if you do not have CURRENT insurance, then you will not have an option of ever getting private insurance.  The goal is to force the private practice insurances out. 

Sheer craziness.....I don't want to pay for insurance for the UAW, or any other union for that matter!  And I DO NOT want socialized health care!!

What do you guys think?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TarotMommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM

This is the United States of America and everyone should have adequate healthcare. There are millions that don't and it's only the ones that do have adequate healthcare that seem to have a problem with others having access to it as well...

stefvan
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I don't understand why they just don't let anyone who doesn't have insurance to opt into the same plan the government has for senators and congress people.  Why are they wasting time setting up ANOTHER government plan??

And, when (or if) they get whatever plan in place they need to do away with medicaid and medicare.  Why would we need those? 

And, they better leave my insurance alone! 

TarotMommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Wouldn't that be great to get the same coverage as senators and congressmen? I vote for that!!!! As far as medicare, that is set up for our elderly who happen to need the coverage because they are barely able to afford food let alone healthcare. What do you suggest we do with all of the elderly?  

Quoting stefvan:

I don't understand why they just don't let anyone who doesn't have insurance to opt into the same plan the government has for senators and congress people.  Why are they wasting time setting up ANOTHER government plan??

And, when (or if) they get whatever plan in place they need to do away with medicaid and medicare.  Why would we need those? 

BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Quoting TarotMommy:

This is the United States of America and everyone should have adequate healthcare. There are millions that don't and it's only the ones that do have adequate healthcare that seem to have a problem with others having access to it as well...

This is so true. The ones doing the most bitching about the new health care bill are the ones that actually have insurance. You'd be surprised how many people don't have insurance and how bad their health is. I know someone that was 33, diagnosed with breast cancer and died because she couldn't afford the treatments and didn't have insurance and couldn't get it because of the preexisiting condition of having breast cancer.

Photobucket

Peanutx3
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Well once companies - union or not - realize it will be cheaper to pay the fine for not offering insurance the companies will drop private insurance so there will be no private insurance a few years after this gets passed. 

On another note my DH and I realized what government run insurance will be like in the future.  Just look at how L&I is run.  He was injured on the job last week, he made his appointment to see his doc right away to get the process started.  Well he needs to start physical therapy however they can't even get him an appointment because he isn't in the L&I system yet.  This is a minor event but still there is the waiting time for the government to get off their butts and do their job.  This is the future of care if the government takes over.

stefvan
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I suggest they get that same coverage as the senators and congressmen.  Both of my parents have medicare (and Tricare).  I think they'd have to do some kind of sliding scale for premiums based on income. 

Quoting TarotMommy:

Wouldn't that be great to get the same coverage as senators and congressmen? I vote for that!!!! As far as medicare, that is set up for our elderly who happen to need the coverage because they are barely able to afford food let alone healthcare. What do you suggest we do with all of the elderly?  

Quoting stefvan:

prego7386
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:49 AM

huh...that's not what i got at all from the things yesterday where he was having a town meeting thing.....he specifically said that if you like your insurance you keep it and that private insurance companies should have no trouble staying in business if they can give good deals also. Personally i think there are a lot of people on Medicare an some have their own insurance too but there are still the group that has neither...what about them? do we just say "oh well sucks to be you" that's kinda fucked up to me.  I also think its crazy my parents have health insurance but are paying 500 dollars a month anyways for meds for my lil brother and i can go and get whatever from the hospital and walk out with no bills! guess what pays for that...tax money...and it is really really nice not to have to worry about how much things will cost when i have to go! so what if we have to pitch in a lil..i guarantee it will be cheaper for most paying a small amount of taxes than it would be if they had to pay straight up. too many people here go into HUGE amounts of debt over health care and to many don't have adequate stuff..not to mention the private insurance companies have a nasty lil habit of calling everything they can a "pre-existing condition" so they dont have to pay for it. yet people are hailing it as the greatest thing ever and fighting tooth and nail to keep it?!

elleinad
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:52 AM

And the support DH has for these statements?

"...Only the doing of justice is a good enough excuse to be born."

mimi725
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I usually keep my opinions to myself but felt the need to comment. If you go to www.freerepublic.com, you will see a page by page breakdown of what the House of Representatives passed. Most of which the majority did not read. 

You should check out page 59, which states "The federal government will have direct, real time access to all individual bank accounts for electronic funds transfer."

Also check out page 427, which states "Government mandates program that orders end-of-life treatment; government dictates how your life will end.

Page 429 states "Advance Care Planning Consult will be used to dictate treatment as patient's health deteriorates. This can include an ORDER for end-of-life plans. An ORDER from the GOVERNMENT."

Those are just a couple of things that stood out to me. How do you feel about being taxed 2.5% of your income if you don't have acceptable health insurance??  (pg. 167). Or Any non-resident alien is exempt from individual taxes, (Americans will pay for them) (pg 170).

Be sure to check out the web site for yourselves. It is very enlightening.

stefvan
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I  have a degree in insurance so I can tell you that is not how it will work.  The more people that are in a plan, the cheaper it is.  When people with private insurance start to think the Obama plan is better, they'll drop the private insurance and move to that plan.  Then, the costs will go up for those who are left in the plan - until it's too expensive for them and they too will jump to Obama's plan.  Don't believe what they're saying about that because it will not last for long!

As I suggested above, they should let everyone on medicaid, medicare and those without insurance to go into the senators and congressmens' plan.  It's a good plan already in place.

Quoting prego7386:

huh...that's not what i got at all from the things yesterday where he was having a town meeting thing.....he specifically said that if you like your insurance you keep it and that private insurance companies should have no trouble staying in business if they can give good deals also. Personally i think there are a lot of people on Medicare an some have their own insurance too but there are still the group that has neither...what about them? do we just say "oh well sucks to be you" that's kinda fucked up to me.  I also think its crazy my parents have health insurance but are paying 500 dollars a month anyways for meds for my lil brother and i can go and get whatever from the hospital and walk out with no bills! guess what pays for that...tax money...and it is really really nice not to have to worry about how much things will cost when i have to go! so what if we have to pitch in a lil..i guarantee it will be cheaper for most paying a small amount of taxes than it would be if they had to pay straight up. too many people here go into HUGE amounts of debt over health care and to many don't have adequate stuff..not to mention the private insurance companies have a nasty lil habit of calling everything they can a "pre-existing condition" so they dont have to pay for it. yet people are hailing it as the greatest thing ever and fighting tooth and nail to keep it?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)