Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well I did it.... (I have a question at the end)

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM
  • 11 Replies

DS is 18 months old, and has reached the max weight limit to be RF in his car seat so I turned him around  last week and--- I dont like it. It was sooooooo much easier to get him in his seat when he was RF.. Im working on him getting in by himself.. but he doesnt like to. AND when he was RF he would sleep.. now he fights it so he can see whats going on. Not so much fun on a 4 hour drive!!! lol

But my QUESTION is.. I've heard it's safer to have him in the middle, but my middle doesnt have the latch things, just the sides do.. In your opinion which is better.. being able to be latched or being in the middle.

I can get the seat in pretty tight in the middle.. but (of course) the latch is tighter.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jademom07
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Middle is safer but if you prefer the security of the Latch, then put him behind the drivers seat.  As for his fussiness, do you have a portable DVD player that you can attach to the back of the headrest for him to watch? 

tattedmommynlj
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:46 AM

middle is safest. but if you dont have it strapped in it kinda defeats the point... are you just saying the metal pieces are on each side of the middle?? cuz my son uses the middle and the latches go off to the side and then the one behind him.

Woman/mommy/wifey/crazy

AMsMommy212
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Quoting tattedmommynlj:

middle is safest. but if you dont have it strapped in it kinda defeats the point... are you just saying the metal pieces are on each side of the middle?? cuz my son uses the middle and the latches go off to the side and then the one behind him.

yeah there is a set of metal peices on each side but none for the middle.. I thought I had heard to NOT use the side ones to latch in the middle that the middle should have it's own set.. hmm ill have to re check :-)

oh and the seat is strapped in, really well with the seat belt locked and all.. I just think the latch gets it a lot tighter but the middle feels safer! We were in an accident last October, a woman t-boned my car, my window shattered but his stayed intact (thank god) but had the impact been more on his door im afraid he would have gotten hurt!! so I dunno which is better!

AMsMommy212
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Quoting Jademom07:

Middle is safer but if you prefer the security of the Latch, then put him behind the drivers seat.  As for his fussiness, do you have a portable DVD player that you can attach to the back of the headrest for him to watch? 

nope but it might be a good investment since we'll be making this same trip fairly often over the next year or so. thanks :-)

tattedmommynlj
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:06 PM

My car only has latches on the sides of the middle seat and my carseat is made to have them go to the side. but my car has a hook/latch whatever behind the seat in the back window area so its definately made to have a car seat in the middle. i also own a 06 malibu so cars are diff cuz in our durango the middle thing is allll the way at the bottom of the back of the seat.
Just do what you think is safest while being within regs. I also use the seat belt to hold it into place too even with the latches lol it definately sucks trying to get them in and out especially when i had a honda but middle is safer cuz like youve said youve been tboned before and were lucky the car didnt hit harder on the back door... which is why i keep my son in the middle.

Quoting AMsMommy212:

Quoting tattedmommynlj:

yeah there is a set of metal peices on each side but none for the middle.. I thought I had heard to NOT use the side ones to latch in the middle that the middle should have it's own set.. hmm ill have to re check :-)

oh and the seat is strapped in, really well with the seat belt locked and all.. I just think the latch gets it a lot tighter but the middle feels safer! We were in an accident last October, a woman t-boned my car, my window shattered but his stayed intact (thank god) but had the impact been more on his door im afraid he would have gotten hurt!! so I dunno which is better!

Woman/mommy/wifey/crazy

hurleydoll18
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Just to let you know, you cannot use LATCH and the seatbelt at the same time.  You can, however, use the seatbelt and the top tether of the LATCH system at the same time, just not the seatbelt and the lower anchors.  If your vehicle does not have 3 sets of lower LATCH anchors (making 6 anchors all together) then it is very unlikely that you can install your car seat in the middle using the lower anchors, but you can use the top tether.  There are a few vehicles that allow borrowing but not many do.  This means using the outermost anchors from the two outerboard LATCH anchors.  Again, you cannot use the seatbelt and the lower anchors at the same time.  If you do, then your seat is not installed correctly and you are basically making your child a human crash test dummy.  I'm not saying this to be mean but it's just the way it is since the seats were not crash tested for using both. 

OP:  Like many here have said, the middle is statistically safer BUT only when you can get a proper installation in the middle.  The actual safest position in the vehicle is where ever you can get the best install.  If the seat moves less than an inch through the belt path while in the middle, then I would leave it in the middle.  I would also see a certified tech in your area to see if they can get it any tighter in the middle.  You can find one by clicking on the link in my siggy. 

Quoting tattedmommynlj:

My car only has latches on the sides of the middle seat and my carseat is made to have them go to the side. but my car has a hook/latch whatever behind the seat in the back window area so its definately made to have a car seat in the middle. i also own a 06 malibu so cars are diff cuz in our durango the middle thing is allll the way at the bottom of the back of the seat.
Just do what you think is safest while being within regs. I also use the seat belt to hold it into place too even with the latches lol it definately sucks trying to get them in and out especially when i had a honda but middle is safer cuz like youve said youve been tboned before and were lucky the car didnt hit harder on the back door... which is why i keep my son in the middle.

Quoting AMsMommy212:

Quoting tattedmommynlj:

AMsMommy212
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Thank you!!! Ill see if I can find one!!

Is that true for ALL seats? My Dad was given a Britax (not sure what model) by my step-sister, and he uses both, Itold him I didnt think you were supposed to use both but he said he had thought the same thing but when he read the manuel it said to use both. I wasnt able to see for myself because he misplaced it.. but I was wondering if you (or anyone) has heard that before? I know my seat (Eddie Bauer)very specifically said NOT to.

Quoting hurleydoll18:

Just to let you know, you cannot use LATCH and the seatbelt at the same time.  You can, however, use the seatbelt and the top tether of the LATCH system at the same time, just not the seatbelt and the lower anchors.  If your vehicle does not have 3 sets of lower LATCH anchors (making 6 anchors all together) then it is very unlikely that you can install your car seat in the middle using the lower anchors, but you can use the top tether.  There are a few vehicles that allow borrowing but not many do.  This means using the outermost anchors from the two outerboard LATCH anchors.  Again, you cannot use the seatbelt and the lower anchors at the same time.  If you do, then your seat is not installed correctly and you are basically making your child a human crash test dummy.  I'm not saying this to be mean but it's just the way it is since the seats were not crash tested for using both. 

OP:  Like many here have said, the middle is statistically safer BUT only when you can get a proper installation in the middle.  The actual safest position in the vehicle is where ever you can get the best install.  If the seat moves less than an inch through the belt path while in the middle, then I would leave it in the middle.  I would also see a certified tech in your area to see if they can get it any tighter in the middle.  You can find one by clicking on the link in my siggy. 

Quoting tattedmommynlj:

Quoting AMsMommy212:

Quoting tattedmommynlj:

hurleydoll18
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 11:54 AM

No seat sold in the US allows the use of both the lower anchors of LATCH And the seat belt.  You can use the seatbelt with the top tether though and Britax allows the use of the top tether while in rear facing mode.  Maybe this is what he was talking about?  In manuals, you will see installation instructions for the seat belt and instructions on how to use LATCH but not on how to use both together.  When some say they use both together, they sometimes mean the top tether and the seat belt together, which is fine.  LATCH gets confusing when talking about it because some ppl refer to the top tethers as LATCH and some refer to the lower anchors of LATCH when LATCH is really made up of both systems. 

Quoting AMsMommy212:

Thank you!!! Ill see if I can find one!!

Is that true for ALL seats? My Dad was given a Britax (not sure what model) by my step-sister, and he uses both, Itold him I didnt think you were supposed to use both but he said he had thought the same thing but when he read the manuel it said to use both. I wasnt able to see for myself because he misplaced it.. but I was wondering if you (or anyone) has heard that before? I know my seat (Eddie Bauer)very specifically said NOT to.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:12 PM

we use the top latch and the seat belts.  But I had a question for the sake of arguement/clarification....why isn't it safe to use both seatbelt and bottom....just curious and is it confusing to me. We use ours properly but how does it make it less safe in that the seat would be strapped in more???   I am sure I am not the only one curious.  Again...we have ours installed according to the manual.

AMsMommy212
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Quoting Thelmama:

we use the top latch and the seat belts.  But I had a question for the sake of arguement/clarification....why isn't it safe to use both seatbelt and bottom....just curious and is it confusing to me. We use ours properly but how does it make it less safe in that the seat would be strapped in more???   I am sure I am not the only one curious.  Again...we have ours installed according to the manual.

I've heard that it puts too much strain on the seat in a way that either has not been tested in a crash.. or didnt test well.. But I cant be positive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)