Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to sue directv (legal mamas)

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:34 PM
  • 14 Replies

im thinking its going to be faster to get my refund from directv if i just sue them. we cancelled our service beginning of may and had a credit balance for paying too much because they told us this and ended up they were wrong. anyways, since then until end of june they have overcharged our credit card 500 MORE dollars. i have called and called and called and they say ok we will escalate the claim, etc and nothing gets done (obviously if its august and we havent had directv for over 3 months.) so when i fillout the paperwork, who do i name as the defendedent. like is it just directv, is there a certain name i put there, etc? i know i need to do the money owed to me plus costs plus interest but its just the WHO i dont know about.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:41 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

Legal Questions and Advice
To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

teegrumpee85
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I have no clue but heres a bump!

AlyssaRob1416
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Have you tried to dispute the charge with your credit card company? It's probably cheaper.

TarotMommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:53 PM

A few years ago I had decided to go with DirectTV when we moved. I paid a huge deposit to get their service. When they came to put up the receiver they could not find any place to put it to receive the satelite signal. They sent out 3 different people and could not get a signal. So never got their service and instead of receiving a refund of my deposit for absolutely no service they sent me a bill!!! I fought with them for months and never got my money back. Hope you sue the hell out of them and get a whole lot of money out of them!!!!

zekesgirl
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Did you try to dispute it with your cc company?

CAarmywife
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM

how do i dispute it with the cc company? its through usaa. 500 is from directv just taking the money off our credit card and then another 100 is from paying our bill when we were not supposed to be paying. what do i say? its theft or something?

MsPsychotic
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I'd go into my bank, show them the copy of the service cancelation and copies of all of the bills you received. Ask them to stop honoring payment requests from DirecTV and that you'd like to file a charge dispute to get the money back since they're taking money without providing services.. which is against the law.

CAarmywife
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:08 PM

ill give them a call since the bank is in texas and we live in arkansas. hopefully they can help. ok edit. called the bank, they could hypothetically tell me they could file a dispute, i just can do it since my name isnt on on the credit card account so ill either have him put my name on it or have him call when he gets home from work

Quoting MsPsychotic:

I'd go into my bank, show them the copy of the service cancelation and copies of all of the bills you received. Ask them to stop honoring payment requests from DirecTV and that you'd like to file a charge dispute to get the money back since they're taking money without providing services.. which is against the law.

butterflyblu
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:11 PM

I would call USAA and see if there is anything they can do on their end.  And I'm an Army wife too and I know with USAA there is no bank you can go into a show them.  As for Direct TV, suing at this point may cost you more than it's worth.  You can try small claims court, but you still have to pay filing fees just to file your claim (usually it's several hundred dollars) and there's no guarantee you will win.  Then you'll be out more money.  I've seen companies (cable, cell phone, etc.) screw over customers and they never see any of their money back and it ends up going on their credit report as an unpaid bill.  So talk to USAA first and see what they can do.  Next, call Direct TV every single day if you have to.  I mean bug the hell out of them.  Ask to speak to the manager.  Write them a letter and send it certified return receipt mail (to make sure they get it), keeping copies for your records and threaten to get an attorney if they cannot resolve their billing issue.  Keep documentation of everything (particularly your bills from Direct TV and your credit card statement showing the charges that were not authorized).  That's what I would do.  I hope it works out for you. 

beerebelly
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM

We have usaa and they have always been very helpful when we have a problem.  It's worth a try to go that route first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)