Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kids with turrets ??

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:39 PM
  • 7 Replies

my hubby has turrets, they were a little worse when he was younger and almost always brought on when he was really focused on something or upset... they consisted of him twitching his head, squinting his eyebrows a lot and making a clicking noise in the back of his throat. its not 24/7 thing. just every once in a while. my son is 12 months and we noticed him doing the same head twitching thing...itsbeen going on for 3 days now, its kinda worrying me... its when he gets upset or if he is doing something and we tell him no...his head will twitch...not like if we were startling him by saying no loudly....its different. i know turrets can be genetic and i was wondering if anyone else had kids with turrets and if so, what age did it start??  is 12 months too young? does this sound like something else that i should take him straight to the doctor for?   any advice would be great thanks!

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rockabillymom1
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM

normally if your child is gonna be tested/checked to see if they have TS then it would be around 4 or 5 and they will only be diagnosed with it if they have multipul ticks not just one. my hubby has very bad TS and hes also been dealing with it since he was a child. we were told it is genetic and can be passed to the children but we wont be able to see untill our son is older around 5 whether he shows any signs of having it. when my son was between 6 and 12 months he did this thing where he would bring his head to his shoulder kinda the way my husband does when he ticks but it stopped after a few months. another thing to look for with TS is OCD most people who have TS have a case of OCD which controls how man times they tick the TS causes the ticks.  umm i wish i could help more if you need someone to talk to im here and ill try and answer your questions best i can. the one thing you can do is some research onling there are all kinds of online comunities for familys with TS  and also speak with your doctors and get all the information you can, i no i drive my doctors nuts i ask way to many questions.

KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:16 PM

here is a bump!

ILovetheOutdoor
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

bump

babybump87
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:43 PM

he has been doing it multiple times....probably about 10 times an hour..... it worries me, i would like to know if he has it now because otherwise it makes me wonder if it could be something else neurological..... bump........anyone else have anything like this with their little ones?

tattedmommynlj
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:47 PM

it could be possible he's just picking it up from daddy... when youre around people you pick up their habits. I have a friend with TS and i always wanna start twitchin when im around him.

good luck chicka

Woman/mommy/wifey/crazy

babybump87
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:20 PM

My hubby's turrets is almost non-exsistent now, it was really bad when he was a child but now, he doesnt do the head twitching thing....he makes a noise in the back of his throat, squints his eyebrows a lot and rubs his nose, so my son has never seen him do the head twitch thing...?

Quoting tattedmommynlj:

it could be possible he's just picking it up from daddy... when youre around people you pick up their habits. I have a friend with TS and i always wanna start twitchin when im around him.

good luck chicka

rockabillymom1
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:31 PM

well at his next doc. appointment bring it up to the doctor and see what he/she has to say but when they go to diagnose TS they look for more then one tick and that is why kids are normally not diagnosed until after or around 5. i know its frustrating, and i understand where your comming from but its just the way the doctors handle it. but im sure if you were to bring it up at the next appointment they would look for it, and give you some advice on how to deal with it and help your little one deal with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)