Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pea soup?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

what kind of veggies do you usually put in it? i havent made it before (i have had it at my moms) but she usually didnt put veggies in it. would potaotes and carrots be okay in it???

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ganfield_c
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:41 PM

i put potatoes, carrots, celery and onions  

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I do too.  But, I pretty much cook it down to where you can't really tell what is in there anymore.

Quoting ganfield_c:

ganfield_c
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:44 PM

oh i leave mine in big chunks so theres something to it. along with either ham or bacon

Quoting myfoursonsks:

I do too.  But, I pretty much cook it down to where you can't really tell what is in there anymore.

Quoting ganfield_c:

K.a.C.87
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:46 PM

thats what i was thinking of doing too. i already have ham for it....we dont have celery and we hate onions! lol

Quoting ganfield_c:

oh i leave mine in big chunks so theres something to it. along with either ham or bacon

Quoting myfoursonsks:

Quoting ganfield_c:

casseopeia
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I HATE pea soup, so I guess my answer would be put any vegitibles in EXCEPT peas.  hahaha

But I guess that's not what you are looking for.  I'd say for color the carrots would be nice.  But potatoes are unecessary since they are a starch and the peas already have quite a bit in it.  My mom always put in fatback or (salt pork to you non-Southerners).  Some fresh sweetpeas would make a nice garnish as well.

BTW, this is a very cold weather kind of dish.  It's AUGUST!  I'm in the SF Bay area which is typically cool in summers and I think it's too hot for pea soup.

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:55 PM
K.a.C.87
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM

lol well thats what happens when u are pregnant! LOL plus we live in wisconsin, it isnt very hot here at all!

Quoting casseopeia:

I HATE pea soup, so I guess my answer would be put any vegitibles in EXCEPT peas.  hahaha

But I guess that's not what you are looking for.  I'd say for color the carrots would be nice.  But potatoes are unecessary since they are a starch and the peas already have quite a bit in it.  My mom always put in fatback or (salt pork to you non-Southerners).  Some fresh sweetpeas would make a nice garnish as well.

BTW, this is a very cold weather kind of dish.  It's AUGUST!  I'm in the SF Bay area which is typically cool in summers and I think it's too hot for pea soup.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)