Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Flea Bomb questions.......Do you think it would be ok to keep my pets in the garage?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:31 PM
  • 21 Replies

We have tried to get rid of the fleas for 2 weeks now.  We have 3 cats, 1 dog and a 75 gallon fish tank.  We are going to have to bomb.  I though have questions.  Like what to do with my pets?  I have no family around.  Would it be ok to put them in the garage?  Also what to do with the fish?  I can't move it.  I can though shut the door of the room they are in.  Would this be good enough.  Do you have to wash ALL of your dishes?  What about the kids toys?  They have a ton.  Could I just cover them with a tarp?  Please help.  Thanks!

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleM72
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM

bump

MommyAnnaBanana
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I would either call the company or visit their website.  I am pretty sure that you are able to leave the fish tank but it has to be tarped.  Please get in touch with the company, I would hate for your animals to get hurt.

Also, try Advantage.  That stuff is amazing.

mommyannabanana

Katlynsmama
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM

where are you going to be? Could you take the pets with you? Otherwise I dont know about the garage or the fish tank. I do know that flea bombs leave a film on everything. We had to bomb a couple years ago everything had to be wiped down afterward. There is a chemical film left on everything so if your kids touch something and then put there hands in there mouth, eyes, etc it would not be good. Good luck, they are a pain but they work really well.

Laura913
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM

how long will you be bombing? can you arrange it so you can take your dogs/cat with you to the park or something while you are bombing??
Or put them in a kennel for a couple hours.

I do not know if the gas will leak into the garage i'm more concerned about the heat.

pregnancy week by week

I am pregnant with my first baby!

Jademom07
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Honestly if you have them that bad, I'd call an expert.  My MIL has tried the bombs and all they did was make it so you had to wash everything and still had fleas.  I'd also take the animals in to be dipped by the vet.

RypTyd1999
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:40 PM

FLEA BOMBS ARE TERRIBLE! Please do not bomb your house!  Get some Borax laundry detergent and rub it into the carpets and around the baseboards if you have hardwoods. Put a cut up flea collar in your vacuum bag (this is the only place they really work...do not do if you have a Dyson)  Get some Frontline for your dogs, you'll need about 3 months worth. If you can't afford FL (I know it's expensive), get a Capstar pill from your vet, relatively cheap and Kills all the adult fleas within 24hrs, then get some Adams flea spray and follow the directions exactly. DO NOT apply flea shampoo or OTC flea drops, they are bad! You can overdose your dog and the outcome is not good as they get into the bloodstream and cause neurological problems. Only use Adams flea spray if you have to and do not soak your pets.

SunnyJoJo
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Unless your garage door seals air tight then I would think that gas would seep in making it unsafe for your pets. I'd be concerned about the heat though. You could arrange for a kennel to use a flea dip on your pets while you use the bomb. then you would be sure that they are gone from the pet and your home. Although the bombs don't always work. We used a bug bomb and had to wash everything! It would have been easier to pack up our dishes and bedding before hand. We did do that the second time we had to bomb and it worked out better.  I think you can just put a tarp over the fish tank and the fish should be fine. You should email the manufactor of the bug bomb and ask them to be completely sure. Good Luck! Fleas suck so bad! We went the spray and vacuum route, none of us had to leave for that but it's super time consuming.

MichelleM72
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM

We gave each one of them a bath in Adams flea and tick shampoo....then right after their bath we gave them a capstar..then when they were dry we gave the cats advantage and the dog Frontline.  We sparayed with the Adams plus flea and tick mist everywhere and vaccumed everything.  I have a 5000 square foot house and boy it is hard to do everywhere!  They are still here.  I have a flea comb and combed the cat a little bit ago and got 10 off of her right there.  I called the vet they told me to use the adams plus mist on the pets....then I called them back and asked how often I could do this.  They told me that I needed to bomb.  We also bought borax but it causes respiratory distress in pets.  So we haven't used it.

Quoting RypTyd1999:

FLEA BOMBS ARE TERRIBLE! Please do not bomb your house!  Get some Borax laundry detergent and rub it into the carpets and around the baseboards if you have hardwoods. Put a cut up flea collar in your vacuum bag (this is the only place they really work...do not do if you have a Dyson)  Get some Frontline for your dogs, you'll need about 3 months worth. If you can't afford FL (I know it's expensive), get a Capstar pill from your vet, relatively cheap and Kills all the adult fleas within 24hrs, then get some Adams flea spray and follow the directions exactly. DO NOT apply flea shampoo or OTC flea drops, they are bad! You can overdose your dog and the outcome is not good as they get into the bloodstream and cause neurological problems. Only use Adams flea spray if you have to and do not soak your pets.

MichelleM72
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:48 PM

Oh and we have central vac which takes everything right to the garage.

Quoting RypTyd1999:

so.this.is.love
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM

First of all, bombing your house is going to be pointless if you don't purchase flea meds for your pets.  You can bomb every day of the week, but if the fleas are still on the cats and dogs, you'll never get rid of them.

You can buy some great meds from your Vet.  I use Revolution for my cats.  It's about $15 per dose/per cat....but one dose usually lasts two to three months before I have to buy more.  It's a liquid that goes on their neck (it dries quickly), and whatever fleas are on the animal or in the house will die as soon as they drink the cats blood.  The over the counter stuff in the stores DOES NOT WORK..don't even waste your money. 

As far as bombing, read the labels.  Usually, if you keep the cabinets closed, you don't have to wash the dishes.  I would clean all countertops and bed linens and mop the floors really well afterwards.  If you drape the kids toys with a sheet or something, they should probably be fine.

But in all honesty, if you don't solve the problem first with the animals....the flea problem will never end.

I'm not sure about the fish.  can you cover the Tank with a towel or something?  And make sure the pets are not too hot in the garage.  Can they stay in the yard or something so they have some fresh air?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)