Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to the hospital for every lil thing!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:36 PM
  • 23 Replies
My hubby aunt goes to the hospital for everything an she takes her kids there for everything! They have insurance an a family doc but she still rather take them hospital! I dont understand i try to avoid hospital unless it is something major! An i understand ppl going to the hospital if they do not have insurance but she has insurance! I swear she is there atleast twice a week they know her an her kids by name now! Hospitals are there for emergencys an she will take the there for having a cold!
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jynnifer292
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:42 PM

You know what is awful? Eventually, she will have a real emergency and she will be like the boy who cried wolf. Nobody will take her seriously.  

We are all shades of gray. It’s been said again and again; life’s a process. We are fleeting moments that come and go, and I am grateful to have my time, my aspirations and my mistakes, my flaws and my abilities. Think of me what you will, but before you do, don’t. Alexander William Gaskarth

Little_bug
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I don't see why you think it is such a big deal.  She is paying for services rendered so why does it matter what DR she takes her family to?

Jynnifer292
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Quoting Little_bug:

I don't see why you think it is such a big deal.  She is paying for services rendered so why does it matter what DR she takes her family to?

It matters because then people that have real emergencies have to wait twice as long to see a doctor because people that could have seen their own doctor are wasting their time. My doctor office copay is $15 ER is $100. Why the hell would you want to wait five times longer to see and doctor and pay seven times more unless you thrive on the drama of being able to tell everyone you spent the day in the ER? A kid with 105 fever needs an ER. One with a cold can go to the pediatrician.

When I say you, I don't mean YOU. smile

We are all shades of gray. It’s been said again and again; life’s a process. We are fleeting moments that come and go, and I am grateful to have my time, my aspirations and my mistakes, my flaws and my abilities. Think of me what you will, but before you do, don’t. Alexander William Gaskarth

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I waited for 4 hrs. in the ER the other week for a valid emergency. I wouldn't have the patience to go there for every little thing.

rowansmum
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM

ya,  I was like 8 months pregnant last time I was in the ER but only cuz my doctor was on call and asked for me to see her there. There was this lady who said she had bumped her knee that morning (this was 4 in the afternoon) and now it hurts.  I was like seriously?  THAT is your emergency???  Of course it hurts!  That's how you know not to do that again!!!  And she was totally  livid that a little boy went before her because he had fallen and hit his head. 

Hypochondriac is all I have to say

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Same here..  I went last Monday due to chest pains and waited 3 hours just in the lobby.  I got there at 10am and didn't leave until 4:30pm.  I went to Urgent Care and was advised to go to the hospital and on top of that I have no insurance so no I wouldn't just go there for the hell of it but I had no choice plus chest pain isn't something to play with.

Quoting JulyBabies:

I waited for 4 hrs. in the ER the other week for a valid emergency. I wouldn't have the patience to go there for every little thing.

imamombygrace
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I hate the ER and my dh works at the hospital we have to go to.  It is a last resort for us.  We much rather pay 35.00 and go to urgent care or the pediatricians office...VS 100.00 copay for an ER visit.

She sounds a lot like my Dad. Don't get me wrong..my Dad is a very sick man..but, he goes for every little thing that he can possibly think of and sometiems he heads to the ER when he thinks he is not getting enough attention from everyone.  

Maybe she is a worrier or likes the attention?  When people think ERs they think emergencies..when people think urgent care..they think colds or some minor issue.

Lessell
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Quoting Jynnifer292:

Quoting Little_bug:

It matters because then people that have real emergencies have to wait twice as long to see a doctor because people that could have seen their own doctor are wasting their time. My doctor office copay is $15 ER is $100. Why the hell would you want to wait five times longer to see and doctor and pay seven times more unless you thrive on the drama of being able to tell everyone you spent the day in the ER? A kid with 105 fever needs an ER. One with a cold can go to the pediatrician.

When I say you, I don't mean YOU. smile

not to mention that over-use of the E.R drives costs up. Supply and demand...

imamombygrace
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Same here..  I went last Monday due to chest pains and waited 3 hours just in the lobby.  I got there at 10am and didn't leave until 4:30pm.  I went to Urgent Care and was advised to go to the hospital and on top of that I have no insurance so no I wouldn't just go there for the hell of it but I had no choice plus chest pain isn't something to play with.

Quoting JulyBabies:

Wow!  That's a long wait.  Here chest pains gets you an automatic ticket to the head of the line and back in the ER. I hope everything was fine...sounds scary...chest pains is definately nothing to play around with.  That's crazy they made you wait so long.

Jynnifer292
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Quoting imamombygrace:

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Quoting JulyBabies:

Wow!  That's a long wait.  Here chest pains gets you an automatic ticket to the head of the line and back in the ER. I hope everything was fine...sounds scary...chest pains is definately nothing to play around with.  That's crazy they made you wait so long.

Seriously, the last time I went was a year and a half ago. I had abdominal pains so bad I couldn't stand straight. If they made me wait four hours, my appendix would have burst. They took me within a half hour of getting there. Chest pains would have been immediate at our hospital.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)