Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sensory disorders?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM
  • 3 Replies

Just wondering exactly what sensory disorders are and how you can tell if your child has one? I saw a lot of moms referring to it in another post and saying that it causes speech delay and which is usually accompanied by a lot of tantrums.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:02 PM

It would be accordint to the sensory disorder to whether or not the child has other issues etc or if it is part of the autism spectrum or not.

My son has sensory integration disorder.  He is 8.  It used to be he could not even touch playdoh or glue without tossing his cookies.  He received therapy and it did help.  Loud noises and bright light used to be an issue as well.  Still is to a  point.  For example in any picture almost, of him outdoors he shields his eyes or squints even on a partially cloudy day.  He also has oral sensory issues. This by far is his most pervasive.  He eats all of 6 different things.  This is BEYOND picky eating.  We once tried to get him to eat 5 corn kernels.....it took 5.5 hours of tears and insistence and him working throught it.  It was awful.  Our therapist we had in the past explained it like this.  Imagine that all foods and textures was like eating cigarrette butts out of a puclic ashtray....yeah gross bu that is what most foods and textures are to him.  Not sure what caused it but I have my suspicions.  My son was diagnosed with SEVERE life threatning dairy(any form of dairy), eggs and peanuts at 12 months.  For that whole 1st year every time he nursed or had formula he SCREAMED in agony after EVERY feeding.  I told the dr he pish poshed me and said I was a nervous new mother.  I tried to get help and no one would listen cause he didn't give the regular symptoms of allergy just severe pain......gee I made that up I guess..LOL.  Anyway, if a person had pain everytime they ate..they would soon not like eating or anything to do with food.  On top of his severe allergies I believe this is where his oral sensory issues stems from.  Can't prove it but that is my theory.  He is 8 now and aged out of every program we can afford.  I am looking for a way to get him therapy becaus there was a time he ate 25 things but now it is back down to only 6 things.  It is hard.  He is already genetically small, and has some growth hormone issues and will be starting growth hormone in Jan.  He is 39 lbs and just a smidge over 42 inches.  wears a 5T for perpective.  I am sure his eating/sensory issues figure into that.  He has no tantrums is very even tempered, bright, social, happy go luck kid.  He has no speech issues and has always been very verbal.  he is extremely smart, and uses vocabulary far beyond his years.  He has a faith that puts grown ups to shame......He is one cool kid.....LOL 

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:04 PM

oh and I meant to say....when a baby.....he did not transition to textured foods well, threw up if his foods had more than one texture..like for example peas and rice.  Or even poptarts because if you think about it....the middle is gushy fruit filling the pastry is crunchy and the sprinkles..that is 3 different textures.  To this day when he eats a hamburger he eats the bun and burger seprately 

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:29 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

medical questions
To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)