Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is it going to end? A very long rant.

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:02 PM
  • 19 Replies

I already know that this post is going to get blasted.  It is going to be full of drama and people are going to say some really not nice things.  But for MY sanity, I need to say this out loud. 

When are the handouts are going to end?  Ok, so you are a single mother of 3 kids and you recieve food stamps.  You might also get subsidized housing.  And sure, you and your family is on medicaid.  But then, you also get a cell phone...because some idiot in government thinks you need to have one.  Oh, and I mustn't forget the cash assistance for those items that food stamps just don't cover.  And if that is not enough, if you live in NY, the governor decided Monday that every person who collects food stamps, and has children, is going to recieve $200 on their benefits card for EACH child.  To buy school supplies.  Even if the kid you have is younger than school age. WTF?  Really?  Our governor really just took miilions of dollars and GAVE it to low income people.  Poof...just handed it right over.  How about Mr. Governor, you pump that money into the school systems?  How about doing a little homework and dividing that money amongst the districts of your state?  That way, the rest of us New Yorkers, and our children, who don't receive any assitance, can still benefit from the stimulus.  I am not bitter or jealous...I work pretty damn hard and so does my DH to give our child the things he needs.  And you know, it wouldn't be so bad if the school supplies we had to buy our kid weren't community supplies.  So while I had to fork over MY OWN money to buy damn community school supplies, my kid has to wear Wal-Mart sneakers.  But the kid whose parents hit the PA lottery can go buy their kid name brand clothes, and they know that their kid will still have crayons to use when school starts.  Even if they didn't buy them . 

Where is the accountability?  When is someone going to finally say enough is enough?  I am so sick of turning on the news and hearing one more thing that is being given away.  I guess maybe I should quit my job and live off the system.  My apartment will be paid for.  My groceries would be paid for.  I'd have medical insurance, and I'd have a cell phone.  I could get my kids school supplies for.  Geez, I'd be living on easy street.  Why would I ever want to go back to work when everything I want is just given to me? 

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Candice369
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM
Not everyone on PA just "quits their job and gets everything they want", as I believe you so ignorantly put it. Alot of people get laid off or fired, due to this shit economy, or are you so busy on your high horse that you don't see the complete disarray this country is in? Yup, your going to get blasted, alright, but probably due to your lack of compassion for people that fell on hard times. Make no mistake about it, almost everyone is only one or two steps away from being in the same position as those on PA. And no, before you start up on me, I am not on PA, but I know people that are that honestly need whatever their getting, just to keep their families fed. So think about that before you categorize everyone that receives assistance.
aleciamarie
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I really don't care that people need to collect food stamps, WIC, medicaid, or subsidized housing.  Those are NEEDS.  I do however, have a problem with people that get those listed above also get cash assistance, cell phones, and now money to buy "school supplies" for their kids.  Why not give EVERY residence of New York State a piece of the pie.  Do my kids not deserve that?  I am basically ranting because there is no accountability for this...these people can spend the money however they wish, and not the way it was intended.  I am not on a high horse...but the economy is bad across the board, and just once I would like a helping hand as well.  That is all I was trying to say.

Ziggy-Stardust
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Write your senator, govenor, congress people.

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

aleciamarie
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Done, done, and done! :)

Quoting Ziggy-Stardust:

Write your senator, govenor, congress people.

momof4boyz1girl
by Diamond Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:00 PM

When are these monotonous PA posts going to end?

Freakgrlmd
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:01 PM

I'm not gonna harp on you, i know exactly what you mean. I am not on welfare of any kind, but i know PLENTY of people that get it by not telling the whole truth. I can't think of one single person that i know that gets welfare of any kind that isn't lying in some way to get it. I don't have medical insurance nor do my children, but if i came up with the right lie i would be able to get it-Don't get me wrong there are people out there that receive benefits and are TOTALLY entitled to getting them, but i agree when is enough enough?

Irishmellanhead
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:03 PM

I live in Ny and I think the problem is that they just added the cash onto the card(it is not FS...you can go to a ATM and withdraw it) and really didn't tell people what it was for. Also how is the state going to make sure that money is spent on school supplies?  I think a better way would have been to give the money to the schools to buy the supplies.

Freakgrlmd
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Quoting Irishmellanhead:

I think a better way would have been to give the money to the schools to buy the supplies.

Amen, i agree totally! That way ALLLLLL the children benefit.

youngmomma259
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:04 PM

In some cases I see how public assistance is needed, but I see others abuse the system to no end!!!

My cousins girlfriend is pregnant, and has a 2 year old. My cousin has been in and out of jail, and the last job he had he quit because he got yelled at. It's not like it matters to him, they are still getting everything they need for the kids and then some! It drives me crazy! It's just so irresponsible!

I also don't understand why the government is giving them so much. I realize that some have lost their job or they are disabled, but the ones who work, work very hard for their money, and they shouldn't have to support people who aren't doing anything.

And no, I'm not bashing all people on public assistance. Just the ones who use it as their source of income, and don't try to make something of themselves. (Not including people who have lost their jobs, or people who are disabled, etc.) I get medicaid, and that's it.

Vaxing, co-sleeping, bible believing, army fiancee, pro-life, anti-gay marriage, formula using, high school graduate, college student on my way to being a nurse practioner, 17 years old, loving kind of momma of an (almost) 2 year old princess!

jendramis
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:05 PM

This does not answer your post and I am not on pa, I love by the philosophy give,love and forgive the rest is all ego.No matter the reason why the parents are on pa if they are lazy or not ect... its the children I think about,I know when I was a teenager we fell on hardtimes my  step dad got laid off and my mom who was always a home maker got a p/t job at toco bell to help and my dad was working any odd job he could get.this happened in the middle of the year and I needed thing for school supplies like pencils paper ect... I had to come to school unprepared every day borrow what I could and do without the rest,I wouldnt even tell my parents because I felt it was just another burden,I cant imagine this happening in elem school,I personally buy extra even though we cannot afford it so that if one of my kids classmates cant afford a pk of crayons they have it,but then again Im the type of person who will give you the cloths of my back and walk around naked if I have to

jennifer mom to austin 10 alexa 7 michael 6 cheyanne 5 and timmy 3 our special lil guy

ps I think the satisfaction that you can provide for your children without the help of the goverment is a gift in itself and you should be proud of that,your child may have to wear walmart shoes but the kid  whos parents are on pa may have had to be wearing  shoes with holes that have been handed down and dont fit,now since the govt is providing money for school supplies they can both wear walmart shoes ;.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)