Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He is starting preschool, and I am scared!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:11 PM
  • 11 Replies

My son is 4 years old and will be starting preschool next month. I have been a stay at home mom since the day he was born, so I have never left him in someone elses care on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, my children do go to the babysitter, but that is obviously someone I trust and know. My husband and I have recently seperated, and it is very hard on the kids. I am having more and more issues with my sons behavior and I am worried that him not being with me is only going to make these issues worse. I know that it is important to put him in school, I guess I am just concerned because there is so much going on in our lives right now. Another thing is that I think that I am afraid to let him go! I really don't know how to handle this situation since he is my oldest and I have never been in this position before. I guess I am just wondering how you ladies handled your oldest childs first day of school...

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alwaysyoung
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM

My ds will start preschool next week. I hope yours does ok.

ladybuglove08
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM

My dd loved preschool, she went from 8-11 5 days a week.  I was a little scared until I went to pick her up & she had a huge smile & talked all about her day.  I am a sahm too, she'd only been left with my mom if I needed a sitter & she did awesome.  She started kindergarten today, I cried walking back to my car.  I don't know why I had a harder time with kinder vs preschool. 

rubixcube.gif rubix cube picture by walshfamilyalbum

Mandymb
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:16 PM

He will be fine. My 4 year old starts pre-k next month as well. Last year i in rolled her in a moms day out program to get her ready for it and she loved it. She can't wait till school starts. 

in love                blowing bubbles                 baby girl

Nick and Mandy                       Anna 4                                  Ella 2

imamombygrace
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

I remember DD's first day of PreK.  She is hardly ever away from us at all.  I admit I cried a little and I even sat out in the parking lot for a little while after dropping her off.  I just wanted to make sure they didn't  call me and her wanting to come home...I even ended up being an hour early to pick her up..lol.  I worried a lot about if the kids were going to pick on her or if the teacher's would be able to understand her.  In the end it was a success and she loves school.  I promise by the end of the first week it does get better.  She went about two to three months out of last year's school year, then was out for summer break, and started back this past Monday..I am still getting adjusted for the second time around:)  The house is so quiet and I miss her terribly..she is only gone for three hours.  I have tried to keep myself occupied with lots of busy work with our new little one due any day now.  It also helps that when I pick her up she is so happy and though she can not fully tell me about  her day...I do get tidbits of what goes on and just to see that excitement on her face makes it worth everything.

tiffaninichole
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

It was really hard for me too, but my dd loved it! I made it a point to get her really excited about it, telling her she was SUCH a big girl and she was gonna have so much fun and learn like other big girls. By the time school came, she couldn't WAIT! Me on the other hand, I was a wreck and cried like a baby when I walked out of her classroom. Not just a few little tears gently streaming down my face, but the full blown ugly cry! LOL! He'll be fine, kids love school at this age

Do you crave longer, stronger, HEALTHIER hair? Click on the picture to join us at The Black & Beautiful Way To Healthy Hair and begin your journey towards beautiful tresses!

scootermom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Will the teacher let you stick around for a bit if you're taking him to school?  Maybe ask his teacher if you can stick around for a couple minutes.  Or at least going in with him and letting him know that it's okay and you'll be back later to pick him up (or if he takes the bus).  I know it's hard been there.  But after a couple weeks you and your son will feel so much better.  And you'll have a little time to yourself.  It takes some getting used to taking your kids to preschool the first day and first couple of weeks. 

amartinez
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Thank you ladies. I am crying just thinking about it.... I guess I am a BIG baby!! lol

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM

The initial adjustment might be hard but once he's in the routine of going, he'll be OK.  He'll make new friends and do new activities.

My son would usually cling to me when I dropped him off in the mornings until Kindergarten.  My daughter walked in, said goodbye to us and never looked back.  She's always been more independent than my son (he's older). 

ilovemyson2002
by mom of 2 boys on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM

your son will do great my oldest couldnt talk or wasnt never with out me and he got on the van fine and did great he loved school

elleinad
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Know that it's in his best interest. He needs the socialization with other kids, and with everything going on with his home life, he needs something that is "his" safe place to call all his own. You'll feel better knowing that he will love it and you are doing something very beneficial for him.

"Suffering is not the worst thing; indifference is. Happiness is not the most important thing in life; aliveness is." (Erich Fromm)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)