Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

going bonkers with my little girl!!!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM
  • 9 Replies

so i've been having problems with alyssa for about 6 months now (she's 18 months old) first it was hitting, then it was biting then it was hitting, then it was trowing herself to the floor banging her head on the hardest thing she could find tempertantrums, now she is trying to be more independent and throws fits every time she can't do something (put her own shirt on, finish zipping the bag up, etc) so my question is this how do i help her be independent and stop trhowing tempertantrums?

oh yeah her new thing is spititng!!! no clue where she got it from but she's always spitting now and it's driving me bonkers, how do i get her to stop that?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
amartinez
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM

My son did a lot of the same things you are describing at about the same age, so I talked to our pediatrician about it. I thought that she was nuts when she told me to ignore him when he would start banging his head on the walls, floors and furniture... but I decided to give it a whirl and to my surprise he stopped just as suddenly and he started. I have tried this with a lot of different things he did, and for the most part it worked. I hope this helps and I wish you luck!

AngelicaRenee
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Maybe time outs? I'm not really sure. my son started tantrums around 13 months and i'd ignore him and help him out when he was done throwing a fit. but he is very dependent and likes help so I'm not sure how to deal with that. Good luck! Isn't it a fun stage when they insist on doing stuff themselves but can't quite do it yet?! lol

treehugger823
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM

my mom said i did the same thing when i was 2, and the doc gave her the same advice... ignore me. i only did it once or twice after her ignoring me, and then i was done. as for the spitting.... here's a bump for you, because dd thinks its HILARIOUS to spit in my face and i'd like to know the answer.

Quoting amartinez:

My son did a lot of the same things you are describing at about the same age, so I talked to our pediatrician about it. I thought that she was nuts when she told me to ignore him when he would start banging his head on the walls, floors and furniture... but I decided to give it a whirl and to my surprise he stopped just as suddenly and he started. I have tried this with a lot of different things he did, and for the most part it worked. I hope this helps and I wish you luck!

pregnancy due date
mirandar2001
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Quoting amartinez:

You're right, and it did work for me too. I did this with both of my daughters, ignored the bad behavior..

mirandar2001
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Quoting treehugger823:

my mom said i did the same thing when i was 2, and the doc gave her the same advice... ignore me. i only did it once or twice after her ignoring me, and then i was done. as for the spitting.... here's a bump for you, because dd thinks its HILARIOUS to spit in my face and i'd like to know the answer.

Quoting amartinez:

When the baby spits in your face, set her down, get up, and walk away. Ignore her for 5 minutes (read a book or something). When you come back to her, explain that spitting is not a nice thing to do and you do not like it. Kids HATE when you won't respond to them.

LovingMyLoves
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I agree.. This is just a phase.. My daughter went through this and it drove me nuts.. I learned to ignore it and she eventually stopped..

Quoting amartinez:

Joslyns_mommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Joslyn (16 months) will throw herself down on the floor to hit her head too! But the little bugger is smart enough to know that she can throw her head down harded on the carpet floor than on the wood or tile floor!

She is not doing it as much anymore... DH and I decided to ignore it when she does it. It took about a week or so.. but the fits did slow down. Luckily she does not bite. When I worked with 1 yr olds, and had some that did bite... I would put their fingers in their mouths (after they bit some one) and say firmly "no bite your friends. Bite yourself." It worked on most of them. Some mom's told me that they would bite their kids back. Being a teacher I could not do this... but that worked sometimes too.

Good luck!

Jacky

http://ourstickybean.blogspot.com/

http://survivingthefirsttrimester.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/stephenandjacky

bobnliz
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM

As far as biting goes, does she have her molers in yet?  If she's just getting them they might be hurting her and she wants to bite somthing and her other teeth are getting in the way.  i would put oral gel on my sons when he bit and he would stop.?

mamaslilpunkin
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM

haha,not much you can do about the wanting to be independent thing.when my dd used to try and zip her coat and have a fit when she couldn't do it,I just calmly said,almost in a whisper "its okay! watch mama do it.."then I'd do the zipper just until it catches and I'd say "now zip it! you can do it!"and she'd finish it and be all happy.

As for the spitting thing,when my dd used to spit,I'd give her one firm warning then the next time I gave her a light(very light)flick in the mouth.Then she knew to stop.

Lilypie
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)