Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When should people stop bringing thier sons into the ladies room?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM
  • 118 Replies

I wonder about this everytime i see an older boy in the ladies room!

I only have a daughter so i have no clue how i would feel about it if i had a son. But i kind of weirds me out wheni  see a boy over the age of 8 in there. I suppose its not really a big deal since everyone is in stalls, but it always throws me off guard...and kind of weirds me out.

But if i had a son, i really dont know if i could send him off into the mens room alone,  thats kind of creepy to!

What do you guys think? When did you start letting your LO venture off into teh mens room alone?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seagodess
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I agree that about 8 is a good time to stop bring them in. My DS is only 2, so I have a while to go until I have to worry about that.

Phatpatswife
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Haven't gotten there yet because my ds is 20 months, but I think I would continue to bring him with me until he's old enough to be alone waiting for me outside. And I can't determine that age because it's not a number, it's a maturity level.

treehugger823
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I'm not really sure, as i have a 2yr old dd, but i'm thinking if you're in a busy mall and you gotta pee, you might not want your boy standing outside waiting to get kidnapped or run off to the candy store without telling you.  I guess it depends on your sons maturity and how safe you think he is.

pregnancy due date
AngelicaRenee

That's a good question. my son is almost 2 so i'm not there yet. But I'm not sure what a good age is to let them go in the other bathroom by themselves. And I'm sure you would feel differently if it was your son. I guess there's a good reason for more places to get family bathrooms! lol

megarooniduh

I think it depends on the situation, where are you, is there someone else with you that could stand with him outside. Personally, I don't think I will ever be ready to leave my son in a store alone, or send him to the mens room alone, but he's only 14 months so I have a long time untill I really have to worry about it!

I've been a baby-wearing, co-sleeping, no CIO, breastfeeding, baby signing, vaxing mama for the past year and I wouldn't do it any other way! 

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM

i stopped when my older one was about 7-8. after that he took his little bro to the mens. but i dont freak out when i see little boys as long as they dont peep under the stall! HAHA

stefvan
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM

My ds is 8 and I don't take him in the ladies room.  If there is a family room we go in there, or I'll stand outside the men's room and wait.   

mom-of-2-boyz
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM

8 to me is a little too old to go in the ladies room. I have a 12 and 8yr old and I believe they stopped at like 6 if not around that. 

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

My son is 8 and I take him with me.  Only a couple of times have I let him go alone....mainly because my son is the size of a 5 year old.  He might have the verbal skills of an 8 year old (actually his vocbulry and communication skills are far beyond his age) but he LOOKS like a 5 year old.  He is 39 lbs and 42.3 inches.  so yeah...I take him with me because he'd be easily overpowered alone.

RypTyd1999
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

In Georgia, it's illegal for a 5+ year old to be inside or loitering around the door of the opposite sex bathroom. Thought that was interesting.......only place I've seen it is at the campground where we were camping (of course...).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)