Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for my interview tomorrow

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have an interview tomorrow morning.  They have my resume already but do I need to bring it again?  Is there anything else I should bring?  I haven't done this in a long time and I'm really nervous.  Also, should I be honest and tell them that I'm a single mom?  I wonder if that will be the deal breaker right there.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mama_l
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Bring another copy of your resume tomorrow just in case.  Remember that you are the only one able to get yourself that job so talk yourself up and NEVER say anything negative about you or any of your work experiences.  Do NOT bring up your personal life (your child and or relationship status).  It is illegal for them to ask and it would not be in your best interest to volunteer the information.  Good Luck!!!

Mamamanic
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Bring it again. Interviewer might not have it.

Mostly keep it simple, maybe have some questions to ask employer. I mention my kids when I get stuck in conversation sometimes. But I work in education so it relates.

Be yourself an truley ask questions that are important to your working environment. It is as much important you fit their ideals as they fitting yours. That way both sides are happy. If you don't get it, it is good practice, right?

Mena929
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Yes, bring a clean copy of your resume tomorrow! The one you sent (I'm assuming via email) will not be as (for lack of a better word) pretty. I would not necessarily say you are a single mom, a mom sure, I would offer specifics though.... Good Luck!!!!

LoudMouthMomma
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Make sure if they ask you "what are some of your weaknesses?" that you have an answer! Too many people reply, "I don't really think I have any." Some good replies are, "I am a perfectionist sometimes." Or, " I have a tendency to take a lot of what I do at work very personally." Try and find something that will apply to the position and SELL YOURSELF! You ARE what they NEED!

jcjaybee
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I was a business owner of 17 years and conducted a lot of interviews.  One thing I didn't like was when a person took over the conversation and did all of the talking.  Don't let your nerves get to you.  Let them ask the questions.  Be confident in your abilities they will see that.  Don't worry about being a single mom.  It is discrimination and they can't ask, but if it comes up most businesses are understanding now days.  Feel free to ask them questions about the job but wait until they give you an opportunity to do so.  Good Luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)