Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need to vent...join me wont you....LOL!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM
  • 9 Replies

I just can't stand this over protective crazyworld we live in..I mean really it has only been like 20 years since it was common practice; leaving kids in the car to pay for gas or get some groceries, spanking in public, and letting your kids be kids!

I am raising my son (17 months) how I was raised; spanking in public (gasp) letting him fall and get bruises (double gasp) and play outside and eat dirt where the dogs (big dogs 100 lbs +) run and play with him (some of you are close to fainting I am sure)!!! Geeze people got over it!!!

Oh and I dont vaccinate either!!

Now my vent is over, thank you! LOL!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mommi229
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I think people really are way too overprotective...it's more apparent here on cafemom. Sure, this is a crazy world we live in, but I agree that some people take it a bit too far.

ccoqui04
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:06 PM

My daughter is only 3 months but I totally agree with you! I think spanking is a good thing for children, as long as there's lots of love in the home!! Even the bible says "spare the rod, spoil the child" and i've seen kids whose parents don't spank and they are always throwing fits and talking back worse than kids who are spanked!

scootermom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Quoting Mommi229:

I think people really are way too overprotective...it's more apparent here on cafemom. Sure, this is a crazy world we live in, but I agree that some people take it a bit too far.

I agree.  It dosen't sound like it would be any fun being a kiddo.   We were always outside riding our bikes, playing with friends.  My mom would lock us out of the house.  Though i would never do that.

MommyAnnaBanana
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I am 32.  And I remember not even wearing a seat belt  and riding up in the front seat.  I remember being able to walk to school alone in the 1st grade.  My mother let me run to the grocery store to get milk and with a note even get cigarettes at the local liquor store.  I remember being sent out to the car to sit and wait if I acted like a brat while my mother was shopping.  She never took me into a gas station to pay unless I was getting some candy or a soda  It was the 80s and things were a lot different.

Would I make the same choices now?  Not a chance.

Things are so different now; more people, more crime.  We know a lot more about safety now.   I think it completely sucks that we have to be so incredible vigilant, but I will not roll the dice and hope for the best when it comes to my children

mommyannabanana

Codysmom22908

Quoting scootermom:

Quoting Mommi229:

I agree.  It dosen't sound like it would be any fun being a kiddo.   We were always outside riding our bikes, playing with friends.  My mom would lock us out of the house.  Though i would never do that.

Mom always told us to go play in traffic!LOL Granted we lived in the middle of BFE.

CafeMom Tickers
fallnangel93

Hey I am the same way you are! Even the non vaccinating thing! And guess what, so far my kids have survived! LOL

Mandamoose
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I totally understand your way of thinking for most of it. My son, who's 3 yrs, is allowed to play, scrape knees.  I'm pretty easy when it comes to alot of things a lot of parents these days freak out over.  Even my husband is more worried about somethings than I am, for example I have toilet bowl cleaner in my sons bathroom...under the sink....it has a child safety lock lid that I have trouble with opening and still he brings it down stairs and puts it it a cabinet up high.

Seriously, My son never even noticed it was under the sink, would have bothered with it if he had, unless my husband looked under there for some vaseline which I ahve NEVER kept under there.

I don't leave chemicals around for my child to easily gulp down nor do I think there was anything wrong with leaving that peticular cleaning product in his bathroom because I"M the one who cleans it!!!

Anyway, like I said I agreed with most of what you said...I think it's kind of funny that you rail against people being over protective and then boldly say you don't vaccinate LOL which is fine I mean whatever it's just funny....I've vaccinated and will continue to vaccinate my children. Not critizing I just thought it was funny.

brvdsmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Quoting ccoqui04:

My daughter is only 3 months but I totally agree with you! I think spanking is a good thing for children, as long as there's lots of love in the home!! Even the bible says "spare the rod, spoil the child" and i've seen kids whose parents don't spank and they are always throwing fits and talking back worse than kids who are spanked!

I personally don't spank my child, but to each his own. with that said there are children who are spanked who don't have manners ie. throwing fits and talking back. My daughter has consequences for her actions, I just don't hit her.  She is a perfectly well behaved child that I can take into any situation without a problem. I have taught her how to behave and what is and isn't acceptable all without hitting her.

Codysmom22908
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM

wow I can't believe more people did not respond?!! Oh well thanks for those who did!

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)