Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need ideas for transitioning son to solid foods...please

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:00 PM
  • 20 Replies

Hello, my son will be 1 years old this Friday. I have him on stage 3 baby food and I feed him rice, chicken and some table foods that are easy for him to chew. I would like to fully transition him to solid foods and I was wondering what are some easy meals for luch, and breakfast that I can start with. Thanks.

I don't know if it makes a difference but he has 5 teeth, two on top, three on the bottom.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sgeorge0505
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Well i was a big fan of PB&J, grilled cheese, cheetos (the puffy ones), pasta, french fries (with the ends cut off), animal cookies, anything that they can gum to death, but don't be surprised he will probably start using those teeth to chew some (my son did). The way i knew was i put it in my mouth to see if it would melt and if it did it was a go!

~Sarah G.

life without him Pictures, Images and Photos

BabyinAug08
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:04 PM

did yours make a huge mess with the food too? I give him some things here and there but OMG I hate the mess!! Thanks fr the ideas though, I will def. start trying.

Quoting sgeorge0505:

Well i was a big fan of PB&J, grilled cheese, cheetos (the puffy ones), pasta, french fries (with the ends cut off), animal cookies, anything that they can gum to death, but don't be surprised he will probably start using those teeth to chew some (my son did). The way i knew was i put it in my mouth to see if it would melt and if it did it was a go!

sgeorge0505
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM

I forgot breakfast! Muffins, toast, scrambed eggs (my son loves eggs!), oatmeal, pancakes (kinda messy but worth it!)

Quoting sgeorge0505:

sgeorge0505
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:06 PM

He does but i try to not let it bother me. I love the look on his face when he gets to try something new and yummy. Right now we are feeding ourselves oatmeal in the morning. I cringe just thinking about it! lol

Quoting BabyinAug08:

did yours make a huge mess with the food too? I give him some things here and there but OMG I hate the mess!! Thanks fr the ideas though, I will def. start trying.

Quoting sgeorge0505:

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Seriously, 1 year olds can eat darn near anything as long as you cut it up into small pieces.  You don't want to give them anything known to be choking hazards like grapes or raw veggies or things with thick peels. You don't really want to give him anything really fibrous like oranges, but most things are good.

You can dice up fruits and veggies and just stick them in the microwave for a little bit to soften them.  Grilled cheese sandwiches are good.  You can give them little pieces of english muffins, bagels, tortillas.  I have a little boy that just turned one in my daycare.  I made him a bean and cheese burrito and just cut it into tiny pieces and he loved it.

hautemama83
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Quoting sgeorge0505:

I forgot breakfast! Muffins, toast, scrambed eggs (my son loves eggs!), oatmeal, pancakes (kinda messy but worth it!)

Quoting sgeorge0505:

Yup all of this ^^^^^^

My son will be one tomorrow and he actually eats EVERYTHING we do, I just cut it up small enough for him to be able to chew and gum it. He also knows how to feed himself with his baby fork and spoon.

myfoursonsks
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Oh and any kind of cracker including graham crackers or teddy grahams.  The babies love teddy grahams.  Just don't get any crackers that have like seeds or anything hard in them.

Daisy1124
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM

My son was 9 months old and he was eating everything we ate just a modified version. 

RypTyd1999
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Not suppose to have peanut butter until age 4 because of allergies and choking hazard. My DS ate everything with no problems.

annelebar
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM

i agree with all of the posts... DO watch out for choking hazards; popcorn is another one.  Oatmeal is good for bfast...  and canned veggies tend to be softer so maybe stock up on those?  i remember  being in the same predicument! lol.. you'll figure it out :)  good luck!  just remember that if it doesn't have nutritional value, he doesn't need it.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)