Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you bleeping kidding me??!! (poll)

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:25 PM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Should it be ILLEGAL to cuss at a police officer or firefighter?

Options:

No way!

Absolutely!

Other (please explain below)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 69

View Results

WITI-TV, KENOSHA - In Kenosha it could soon cost you $118 for swearing at police. An alderman wants to give police officers and firefighters the authority to write a ticket to people who swear at them.

The alderman behind this ordinance says it's about putting officers first, but some wonder what about the first amendment?

Kenosha Alderman Patrick Juliana says he got the idea for the proposed ordinance after seeing firsthand a night in the life of Kenosha police.

The City of Kenosha already has an ordinance banning the use of profane, vile, filthy, or obscene language within the city limits. This law can only be enforced if a third party makes a complaint.

His ordinance would allow police officers and firefighters to issue the citation themselves, if the language is directed at them. Some residents worry this proposal goes too far. Several told FOX 6 it sounds like the city is more concerned about its pocketbook than protecting police.

The proposal says the officer would first have to issue a warning to stop the language, but if you don't zip it you could get a ticket.  

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2gud2btrue
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:29 PM

bump! 

scootermom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM

I don't agree with issuing someone a ticket for cussing at a firefighter or cop.  I mean if it isen't directed at them.  Because seriously my first thought if i saw a cop car behind me with it's lights on wanting me to pull over.  I'd pull over, but my first thought would be to say oh f***.  I wouldn't actually say because my 5 year old would repeat it.  Wow!  That's crazy though!

Plus-size-mommy
by StarBaby on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Well, unless you were causing a disturbance what other reason would you have for cursing at a person like that? I think that ticketing someone who is cursing you out is fair because you shouldn't be cursing them in the first place, have more respect than that!

maciymommieof3
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:32 PM

It is one thing to "cuss" him/her out...but to "cuss" in general....no biggie!

Fun Photo Contests for MOMS, Kids, and Funny Stuff!

ENTER HERE:

NavyWifey122305
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Its NOT illegal to cuss at a cop or firefighter if you say  " In my opinion you are a _______!" you just have to remember to say  In my opinion before you cuss them out.  But without it they can arrest you !  I learned that from a cop LOL....... i wasnt cussing him out I was at work and he came in to get some lunch ( he was a regular) and we always asked him stupid questions hahahahaha.

2gud2btrue
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:38 PM

i dunno, maybe because this is supposed to be a free nation and we are guaranteed freedom of speech.  i mean, its just words.  actions are one thing but how can saying "your an asshole" or something to that effect cause a disturbance unless the other party decides to react in a disturbing way? 

Quoting Plus-size-mommy:

Well, unless you were causing a disturbance what other reason would you have for cursing at a person like that? I think that ticketing someone who is cursing you out is fair because you shouldn't be cursing them in the first place, have more respect than that!

navyma23
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:59 PM

3 words.....freedom of speech......3 more words......being taken away.......

Moving to or live at Great Lakes Naval Station? Come join my group!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/greatlakesmommys
Are you a Navy wife?, need answers?
http://www.cafemom.com/group/NavyWives
Do you play Xbox 360? Come join us!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/momswho360
Do you live in Lake County IL? Come join!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/lakecountyillinois

Lisa_729
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I don't think you should get a ticket for cussing at a police officers or firefighter.  There are times in high stress situations you don't always think about what you are saying and you can say things that you don't necessarily mean or would usually say.  Or what if that is just how the person talks and doesn't change it for anyone?

In most places there are already laws in place to allow police to arrest or ticket people for being aggressive towards them. 

People should be afraid of getting in trouble for saying a cuss word to police.  Who is going to want to go to the police if they could get in trouble for saying hell, damn, or something else.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:11 PM

no it should not be illegal. not wise to do though, im sure they will FIND a reason to mess with you! HAHA

KYChica
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I've seen plenty of episodes of Cops where the police officers didn't think twice about cussing someone out , so why can we? lol Like someone else said "FREEDOM of SPEECH"... 

gonna-wanna.com

type of girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)