Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He's trying to make me homeless

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM
  • 22 Replies

Ok, here's the situation. My husband kicked me out 3 weeks ago. I've got the kids. We are staying at his parents house right now, which is a two bedroom apartment, with 6 people in it. I have two weeks to find somewhere to stay, because the landlord said I can't stay here anymore. My husband will not help me in any way. The only other option I have is to take my 2 boys and move to Tennessee. We live in Iowa. He has only given me $100 this whole time, and he has only taken the boys once, for 3 days. Now he's saying he's getting a lawyer to keep me from being able to take the boys out of the state. He said I can come back there, but it's a hostile environment, and there's no way I can go back. Plus he lives with his brother and a friend of his that I absolutely cannot stand. So if I don't get a job and find somewhere to live in two weeks I'm going to be homeless. I think it's his plan to get the kids taken away from me. Can anyone give me any advice?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shecallsmemom04
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:08 PM

why did he kick you out?

whose name is the home in?

first step i guess would be to go to your local DSS office.  they'll assist you in finding a job, job training, housing, and they'll help you until you are able to get on your feet.

i DESPISE stupid people, and i DESPISE stupid people unwilling to educate themselves even more!!!!!!!

mcsmom99
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I would move to TN before he has anything legal drawn up.  I would file a restraining order or some type of custody papers when I got there.  It sounds like TN is your only choice.  What are you waiting for?  I wouldn't even tell him I was going.  I'd just pack up my children and leave.  He obviously doesn't give a shit about his family, if he would kick you out on the street with your children.  What a winner he sounds like.

americanpeso
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM

The house is rented in both of our names, and he kicked me out because we had an arguement. And DHS has helped me as much as they can right now, the only problem is there are minimal jobs here, and no where has rent assistance available for at least 6 months.

jasey929
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:19 PM
umm, he kicked YOU out with the kids?? I wouldn't have left, I would have called the cops and had HIM removed. I would file a restraining order like the other poster said or get the hell out of dodge and file for custody right away. Don't even tell him. Oh and if you do stay around, HE doesn't have a choice but to help. Take him to court for child support. It's not HIS choice whether he decides to help you. DSS or whatever you have there will help so I would call them if you stick around.
jasey929
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:21 PM
I just read your response. I would think the cops would remove him before you seeing as how you have two children.
wells75904
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Quoting mcsmom99:

I would move to TN before he has anything legal drawn up.  I would file a restraining order or some type of custody papers when I got there.  It sounds like TN is your only choice.  What are you waiting for?  I wouldn't even tell him I was going.  I'd just pack up my children and leave.  He obviously doesn't give a shit about his family, if he would kick you out on the street with your children.  What a winner he sounds like.

this.....do it and fast

I own and admin in several groups, see one that interests you? JOIN US!!!

Frugal and Thrifty Moms-This group is a place to come to get recipes, advice, to chat, have fun, let your hair down and talk about cooking, recipes, budgeting, menu planning, and all things related to making our households run more smoothly.
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Frugal_And_Thrifty_Moms
May 2005 Children- Come and join us if you have a child born in May of 2005, share the joys, the fears, the challenges of raising 4 year olds! http://www.cafemom.com/group/may2005children
About Frugal Moms Buy, Sell, and Trade Connection-Buy and sell with great prices!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/Frugalmomsbuyandsell

MommyAnnaBanana
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Quoting wells75904:

Quoting mcsmom99:

this.....do it and fast

Agreed.

mommyannabanana

Buffy65
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I agree.

Quoting mcsmom99:

americanpeso
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Another problem is I don't have the money for a lawyer, and legal aid won't help me because I haven't been separated from him for 6 months. And I didn't stay at the house because I wouldn't stay there with his brother and his friend, and I wouldn't screw his brother over.

Quoting jasey929:

umm, he kicked YOU out with the kids?? I wouldn't have left, I would have called the cops and had HIM removed. I would file a restraining order like the other poster said or get the hell out of dodge and file for custody right away. Don't even tell him. Oh and if you do stay around, HE doesn't have a choice but to help. Take him to court for child support. It's not HIS choice whether he decides to help you. DSS or whatever you have there will help so I would call them if you stick around.

kenziejosmommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Yeah.. if TN is your only choice or you're going to be homeless, GO! Go now, go fast, don't tell ANYONE anything. File for custody and what not ASAP!!! The longer you stick around, the worse he's gunna try and make it for you, as far as he sounds!

Quoting wells75904:

Quoting mcsmom99:

this.....do it and fast

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)