Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you control how much food your child eats?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

My grandma came to visit today and spent the day. She told me I am over feeding my children. This is what each child ate so far today (no dinner yet).

My 12 month old....

1/4 cup oatmeal  1/2 banana

1 celery stick 3 cubes cheese

1/2  cup chicken and carrot ravioli

2 crackers

2 cups milk

My 6 year old

banana and 2 eggs

about 1/2 cup goldfish

ham sandwich on whole wheat bread

grapes crackers ham

1 cup milk, 1/2 cup juice, and lots of water

I consider what my kids eat on a daily basis to be mostly healthy. She says I am just going to make them fat whether its healthy or not. She says there is no need for snacks if they are eating enough at meal time. But my kids eat breakfast at 6:30 in the morning, I can't let them go 6 hours without something in their bellies.I don't let them have candy, sweets, ect. but I do let them eat as much as they want of the healthy food I offer. Do you feed your kids snacks and do you regulate how much they eat?

in loveteen boytoddler boytoddler girl

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parkerkamismom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:39 PM

That may be how they did things back in the day, but now days, it's 3 meals and snacks.  It's much better to eat smaller meals with snacks than larger meals and no snacks.  So no, you are not over feeding your kids.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:40 PM

I think you are doing fine!!!! and its not like you are feeding them junk food!

i dont' worry about that kinda crap, dd doesn't snack unless she has eaten the most recent meal, or won't snack right before a meal.  I let them eat when then want what they want.  I think its sily to control there portions they are growing children.

((BM controls how much ss eats and when he comes here no joke he doesn't stop eating! i feel so incredibly bad for him he tryes to get full before he goes back to her.  and even this Monday she told me that she tells him he needs to diet b/c he is getting man boobs, he is 7 yrs old here is a pic

stephanie39466
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Omg he is so handsome. I would have to punch his BM in the mouth. Sorry. lol

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

i dont' worry about that kinda crap, dd doesn't snack unless she has eaten the most recent meal, or won't snack right before a meal.  I let them eat when then want what they want.  I think its sily to control there portions they are growing children.

((BM controls how much ss eats and when he comes here no joke he doesn't stop eating! i feel so incredibly bad for him he tryes to get full before he goes back to her.  and even this Monday she told me that she tells him he needs to diet b/c he is getting man boobs, he is 7 yrs old here is a pic

in loveteen boytoddler boytoddler girl

mrsmilfy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Nope. My kid has her own internal control. I make her breakfast, lunch, dinner...she eats if she wants it and stops when she is full. She is more of a grazer and eats 5-6 small meals a day pretty much. I think that is the best way to maintain weight and a high metabolism anyway. She is tiny. Also, I think she is to busy being a 2 y/o...she explores, causes chaos, and plays all day...somedays she will barely eat anything.

Quoting stephanie39466:

My grandma came to visit today and spent the day. She told me I am over feeding my children. This is what each child ate so far today (no dinner yet).

My 12 month old....

1/4 cup oatmeal  1/2 banana

1 celery stick 3 cubes cheese

1/2  cup chicken and carrot ravioli

2 crackers

2 cups milk

My 6 year old

banana and 2 eggs

about 1/2 cup goldfish

ham sandwich on whole wheat bread

grapes crackers ham

1 cup milk, 1/2 cup juice, and lots of water

I consider what my kids eat on a daily basis to be mostly healthy. She says I am just going to make them fat whether its healthy or not. She says there is no need for snacks if they are eating enough at meal time. But my kids eat breakfast at 6:30 in the morning, I can't let them go 6 hours without something in their bellies.I don't let them have candy, sweets, ect. but I do let them eat as much as they want of the healthy food I offer. Do you feed your kids snacks and do you regulate how much they eat?

rayzensun
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:44 PM

no that sounds great...

how is that too much?

parkerkamismom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:45 PM

That really pisses me off - you don't say those things to your kids!  Then we wonder why so many kids are suffering from eating disorders these days.  And, he most definately is NOT overweight.  BM needs to be checked.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Trust me I wanted too and wheni told my s/o i was hysterically crying it hurts so badly b/c i know how hungry he is whn he comes here and he tells us that they won't give him or his step brother (whose the same age jut a little thinner) second helpings!!! it really breaks my heart, there is nothing that I could have said that would have made me look like the good guy!

i think his mom and her husband have serious issues about her weight, when i was preg I was about 7 or 8 months along, and her exact words to me were "wow you are huge, how far along are you 5 months," i simply told her no actually i am (however many months i was) she was shocked

Quoting stephanie39466:

Omg he is so handsome. I would have to punch his BM in the mouth. Sorry. lol

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Every time I see the abbreviation "BM" I think bowel movement.

lilypad728
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:48 PM

It seems normal to me...is she worried about their weight? Are they over weight? It seems like a strange thing to randomly say.

RoguesMommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Nope! I don't believe in controling the amount KIDS eat- they are growing active children.

My kid eats when shes hungry and stops when she's not hungry lol it's simple. I do control WHAT she eats- if it was up to her she'd have cupcakes, mac and cheese and chocolate milk all day every day! lol

PhotobucketLilypie
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)