Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cost of Food

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM
  • 8 Replies

I hate how much food cost. I just spent 120 dollars on food only to realize that i did not even get all that much..sigh...heck we are planning on going back Sunday to buy food. What funny is my DH who keeps telling me that i should not cook meat into all of are dinner, but if i cook without meat, he's get upset..LOL You can not have it both ways. Man i miss 'free food" at my parents house, i'm getting a lot more chicken and ground beef, then i ever ate over my parent who can afford the higher cost meats..LOL  O well what can you do.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
3earthangels
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:13 PM

The cost of food is ridiculous! We only have about $350/month for it and that's for 5 people (3 young kids). I've learned to make a lot from scratch. Fortunately though, we buy most of our meat when we get our tax refund. We buy 1/2 cow and a whole pig (not full cost though since we are friends with the guy). It's about a 7-8 month supply with using meat only for dinner. But there's only so much beef & pork you can eat.

The US Immigration Support Group - We know it's hard. We'll give you a shoulder to cry on, friends to laugh with, and a helping hand.

butterflyblu
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Yeah it's expensive.  I spent $120 the other week and thought, what the heck did I buy?  That includes diapers though. 

NavyWifey122305
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:20 PM

clip coupons and by store brand instead of name brand !! 

I feed a family of 5 on $400 a mo and dont buy premade food. you pay more for the premade things when you can make it cheaper from scratch.

audriesmommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Look for sales.  There are times that roast are on sale for about $5 and you could easily use it for two meals plus leftovers.

NavyWifey122305
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:24 PM

HECK YEA  !!  I make a pot roast use the left over carrots and taters and meat and gravy throw em all together stick it in the freezer and we have stew for another night ( just toss in some corn and BAM !)

Quoting audriesmommy:

Look for sales.  There are times that roast are on sale for about $5 and you could easily use it for two meals plus leftovers.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM

We spent a lot shopping too. We realized when we got home that we forgot bread. With coupons and my husbands discount from walmart we did save $15 on groceries today.

lauraluann
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:59 PM

It is expensive, but there are ways to make it better.  We buy for two weeks at a time and look for sales.  I spent $170.00 today and that will last us two weeks.  I plan all my meals out before hand and make a list, I only buy what is on my list.  I also buy store brand, instead of name brand.

F_Stathouse
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:07 PM

I get $500.00 a mth. for me, DH, and our two babies.  It's not enough as I barely am making on that.  I have RA so my diet conists of no salt, very very little sugar, no fat, and 1 cup of coffee.  So my food has to be just right for me to eat.  I've spent over $200. for a week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)