Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First step to potty training?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:48 PM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: How I felt about potty training.

Options:

Really easy

Somewhat easy

Hard

Very hard

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 4

View Results

I am starting to potty train my 2 year old daughter. I have no Idea where to begin. Do I use the little potty chair or do I use the seat that you put over the big potty? This is really hard...lol.

What are your potty training tips or stories?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smilesalways26
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:51 PM

our daughter is 2.5 yrs old and is potty trained. I went and bought her princess underwear and a pink potty and sort of let her do it on her own. Like said ok lets take off ur panties and sit on the potty and she would. I never forced her I just let her do it on her own and she would get a popcycle or sticker for going potty. And we clapped and made a huge deal about it when she went. good luck 

Caroline84
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM

i would use the potty chair it is easier for them to sit on fast. you can use the seat for the toilet after she gets the hang of it. i sat on the potty chair and peed while my daughter watched me and showed her how to wipe. my daughter got it the first try after that. she had only a few accidents for a bout a week then no more.

hautemama83
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Well IDK about toppy training lol, but here is a bump for ya because I want to start potty training my lil one.

wintersmommy06
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:56 PM

everyone makes it sound so easy. I have a hard time getting her to sit on it. she likes to take showers, wash her hands and brush her teeth, but the potty chair? NO WAY!

Caroline84
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:02 PM

my  daughter did not want to sit on it either. that's why i sat on it first and showed her it was ok.tell her this is what big girls do. you can be a big girl too like mommy.

Quoting wintersmommy06:

everyone makes it sound so easy. I have a hard time getting her to sit on it. she likes to take showers, wash her hands and brush her teeth, but the potty chair? NO WAY!

azn_ladie82
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Buy an actual potty for now and then once she gets the hang of it, buy the potty that u put on top of the toilet. PTing isn't easy, it takes patience. GL!

Are you a proud preemie mom of a NICUGRADUATE? Click on my NICU blinkie to meet other moms of preemies just like you.

wintersmommy06
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:01 AM

bump

MixedCooke
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 3:49 AM

I just put her on the regular toilet but we had some falling in issues and of course I dont want her touching the dirty toilet seat when she gripped on for dear life!  I bought her the little potty seat to put over the toilet and she liked that although it is supposed to have a deflector, but it didnt work and she sprayed me yesterday!  Gotta work on her targetting!  LOL Shouldve known her spray would be off, even as a newborn she sprayed the wall!  Not only boys do it! LOL

We go over her letters and words and numbers while she is sitting there for distraction.  I try and take her every hour or so but definitely before we do anything and before her nap.

Renee21
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 3:56 AM

I just started with my son. He will be 2 next week. I taught him what a potty and a peepee is and he just wants to grope and sit all of the time. I take off his pants and let him sit. He won't pee in it though. I am not sure what to do from there, I let him see me and daddy do it....but he just likes to get up and pee on the floor (good thing we don't have carpeting on the floor). I know he is ready; he understands the concept and lets me know when he needs a new diaper. I need ot know how to get him to pee in it too!

Mom2jngnc
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:31 AM

I will be your horror story, lol.

As far as Potty Chairs go... Graco makes a nice one, doubles as a step stool, and has an adapter that will come off and go on the toilet. Also very easy to clean. I bought one in 1999 and had to throw it away last year due to "basement funk" and just bought a new one for my toddler.

With that said, I didn't vote. My oldest child was a nightmare to train despite the "signs" that he was ready. My next 2 were pieces of cake.

BRIBERY.... yes, good old fashioned bribery! My oldest wanted backpack as he was the only child in hsi day care class with a diaper bag. HE was still a month over 4 yrs. old. Somehow the backpack thing has worked with the rest of the boys.

I also do not limit when they drink. They drink normally, I do diaper them for overnights, at least the 2 that were in twin beds. I don't like pull-ups, it's underware or training pants.... and I heard from a Mom with Girls (she has 2b, 1g, 1b, ) that girls panties are a PITA to get up and down for little ones, she found that boys underware was easier for training.

As far as how to start. My 21 month old follows me into the bathroom, and wants his diaper pulled off. He will sit and then stand etc.. on the potty chair. Sometimes we pee, most times we don't, and sometimes he pees on the floor. I just go with it.... he'll be trained when he's ready.

Stephannie, Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, Christopher and Alexander 

"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)