Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meteor Shower Tonight

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:06 PM
  • 24 Replies

anyone going to watch? i am hubby's workin midnites so i dont sleep anyway might as well watch something cool lol

Perseid meteors troubled by moonlight at 2009 peak

• Before dawn, the constellation Perseus – radiant point of the Perseid meteor shower – is close to overhead. That’s why – before dawn on Wednesday and Thursday, August 12 and 13, 2009 – the meteors will be raining down from the top of the sky.

Unfortunately, the waning gibbous moon is up between midnight and dawn – the best hours for meteor-watching. Although the Perseids tend to put out the greatest number of meteors during the wee morning hours, the moonlit glare will wash out many if not most Perseid meteors in 2009.

Like bright moonlight, city lights can completely blot out a meteor shower. So if you want to try watching the Perseids, be sure to get away from city lights.

By the way, you might hear some very specific times for the peak, for specific locations. Unless you’re in one of those locations, ignore those times. Just aim for a dark location between midnight and dawn on Tuesday or Wednesday morning. If you do that – even in the moon’s glare – you might see some meteors!

And if the moon washes out your fun this year … there’s always next year. The Perseids are one of the most famous showers in history. Check out the science and history of the Perseid meteor shower.

• Leeland & Landyn Identical Twin Boys Due December 10, 2009!!Big Brothers Logan{11-4-04}, Hunter{2-26-08} and Owen {5-7-08} Can't wait to meet the twins!!

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    bayliesmommy
    by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:09 PM

i think im actually going to go to my mothers to watch them. i treid to last night but i didnt have anyone to talk to while watching them, so i came back in.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    mom_2_3crzyboys
    by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:10 PM

lol i know im going to be all by myself too lol kids are sleeping, maybe ill take the dogs outside with me lol

Quoting bayliesmommy:

i think im actually going to go to my mothers to watch them. i treid to last night but i didnt have anyone to talk to while watching them, so i came back in.

Leeland & Landyn Identical Twin Boys Due December 10, 2009!!Big Brothers Logan{11-4-04}, Hunter{2-26-08} and Owen {5-7-08} Can't wait to meet the twins!!

elly25
    by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:14 PM

This is going to sound very stupid of me,but do you think that it will be visible here in Ca?I can't believe that I just asked that.I didn't know any thing about it.I like that kind of stuff.

owls

wells75904
    by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:14 PM

lol I tried last night and I fell asleep in the front yard, so I came in

I own and admin in several groups, see one that interests you? JOIN US!!!

Frugal and Thrifty Moms-This group is a place to come to get recipes, advice, to chat, have fun, let your hair down and talk about cooking, recipes, budgeting, menu planning, and all things related to making our households run more smoothly.
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/Frugal_And_Thrifty_Moms
    May 2005 Children- Come and join us if you have a child born in May of 2005, share the joys, the fears, the challenges of raising 4 year olds! http://www.cafemom.com/group/may2005children
    About Frugal Moms Buy, Sell, and Trade Connection-Buy and sell with great prices!
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/Frugalmomsbuyandsell

mom_2_3crzyboys
    by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:16 PM

lol yea its visible anywhere best time is after midnite, the darker the better

Quoting elly25:

This is going to sound very stupid of me,but do you think that it will be visible here in Ca?I can't believe that I just asked that.I didn't know any thing about it.I like that kind of stuff.

Leeland & Landyn Identical Twin Boys Due December 10, 2009!!Big Brothers Logan{11-4-04}, Hunter{2-26-08} and Owen {5-7-08} Can't wait to meet the twins!!

mom_2_3crzyboys
    by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:17 PM

lmao thats too funny!

Quoting wells75904:

lol I tried last night and I fell asleep in the front yard, so I came in

elly25
    by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Thanks.I felt like a goob asking,but you never know.I'll be up then and I'll look for it as well.Last year I saw my first shooting star and it was so beautiful.

Quoting mom_2_3crzyboys:

Quoting elly25:

owls

mom_2_3crzyboys
    by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:23 PM

aww how cool! i love this kinda stuff! im a nerd lol, although i failed astronomy when i took it in college lmao its not my fault it was always dark in there! they shouldnt have that class at 7 AM lol

Quoting elly25:

Thanks.I felt like a goob asking,but you never know.I'll be up then and I'll look for it as well.Last year I saw my first shooting star and it was so beautiful.

Quoting mom_2_3crzyboys:

Quoting elly25:

Beautiful__mama
    by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:25 PM

no meteor shower for me tonight we are getting bad storms

dre_bunny
    by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Maybe I will... We live a town over from Joshua Tree so they should be very visible here...?

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)