Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teeth question...

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:24 PM
  • 8 Replies

What exactly are "wisdom teeth" and how do I know if mine are coming out? My gums hurt/itch at the way upper back :( 

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
raegansmom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Your wisodm teeth are your last set of molars.  Count your teeth with your tounge, you should have 14 on top & 14 on bottom if you do NOT have your wisdom teeth.  16 & 16 if you do.  Usually ibeuprofin is best for tooth ache pain.  (I used to manage a dental office)

dre_bunny
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Ok... so I have 14. Do they come at a specific age? And do I have to have 'em pulled? Cuz dh said I have to have 'em pulled.... but I don't think he's even got his in yet.. Actually I have 14 on top & 15 in the bottom... is that right? The 15th one is on just the top of the last one on my left... but it didn't hurt at all. Can I keep rubbing the side of my face where the tooth is? It hurts, but it kinda feels good. Tee hee.

Quoting raegansmom:

Your wisodm teeth are your last set of molars.  Count your teeth with your tounge, you should have 14 on top & 14 on bottom if you do NOT have your wisdom teeth.  16 & 16 if you do.  Usually ibeuprofin is best for tooth ache pain.  (I used to manage a dental office)

brittneyon
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM

idk. i've got my last two in within the last year. they hurt like a sob. lol. i havent gotten mine taken out, but i'm sure if i went to a dentist he might say they need to be out. i think it depends on if you have enough room in your mouth for them or not.

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

The Mamalicious Group:
http://www.cafemom.com/group/106120

i am not a woman who lost my baby weight in two weeks, lets others control my parenting, and is never tired. but i am strong. i am invincible.
I AM MOM.

i'm a formula feeding, vaxing, disposable diaper using, ERFing, husband loving, blog everything, non drug using, co-sleeping, cio, speak my mind kind of mom.

junebug624
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:35 PM

The only way you'll know if they need to come out is with an xray.  Mine didnt come in til i was 18 and they were impacted (sp?) meaning they were coming up under the teeth that were already there.  I have only had the bottom ones taken out cuz my top ones never developed.  Suck it up and get to a dentist to find out, if they are impacted, they can mess up your teeth.  Good luck! 

I'm a vaxing, circing, disposable diaper using, bf switched to ff, CIO sometimes, pushed 1hr before a c-section (and don't regret it), college attending, loving my son, can't wait to have another baby, trust your own judgement, kind of mom.

raegansmom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:37 PM

You don't HAVE to have them out unless there is no room or they are decayed or bothering you.  I still have all 4 of mine.  You can go to the dentist & get a panoramic x-ray done, that will show your wisdom teeth & how close they are to erupting.

lauraluann
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Usually Dentist do take out all four of your wisdom teeth if they are going to impact your other teeth.  They take all four at the same time. Usually they come in between the ages 18-28 or so.  You need to see a Dentist/Oral surgeon, because they can get infected and cause pain/pressure on your other teeth.  (I went to Dental Assistant school) 

Quoting dre_bunny:

Ok... so I have 14. Do they come at a specific age? And do I have to have 'em pulled? Cuz dh said I have to have 'em pulled.... but I don't think he's even got his in yet.. Actually I have 14 on top & 15 in the bottom... is that right? The 15th one is on just the top of the last one on my left... but it didn't hurt at all. Can I keep rubbing the side of my face where the tooth is? It hurts, but it kinda feels good. Tee hee.

Quoting raegansmom:

dre_bunny
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Ok... thanks ladies. I should be in to the dentist sometime this week or next... dh is setting something up with our insurance.  

dre_bunny
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Thank you so much!!!!

Quoting lauraluann:

Usually Dentist do take out all four of your wisdom teeth if they are going to impact your other teeth.  They take all four at the same time. Usually they come in between the ages 18-28 or so.  You need to see a Dentist/Oral surgeon, because they can get infected and cause pain/pressure on your other teeth.  (I went to Dental Assistant school) 

Quoting dre_bunny:

Quoting raegansmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)