Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mom starves toddler to death and gets only counseling as punishment

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:37 PM
  • 43 Replies

By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Writer – Tue Aug 11, 11:56 am ET

BALTIMORE – A Maryland woman who pleaded guilty to being part of a religious cult that starved her toddler son to death will soon be released from the Baltimore jail.

Lawyers on both sides say they've agreed to send Ria Ramkissoon to a counseling center in rural northeast Maryland.

Ramkissoon is set to receive a 20-year suspended sentence under her plea deal. But a sentencing hearing Tuesday was postponed because her co-defendants have not yet gone on trial. She was one of five people charged in the death of 1-year-old Javon Thompson.

Authorities say the five starved the child because he did not say "Amen" after meals. Police found his body in a suitcase in Philadelphia.

Ramkissoon agreed to testify against the four other cult members as part of her plea deal.

Its disgusting how she kills her baby blames something else and is then gets let go, I dont see as a mother let that happen.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommywife06
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Thats it? Counseling?!  WTH IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!? BECAUSE HE DIDNT SAY AMEN? I DONT SHOULD I BE STARVED?!

faithfulmomof1
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Quoting mommywife06:

Thats it? Counseling?!  WTH IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!? BECAUSE HE DIDNT SAY AMEN? I DONT SHOULD I BE STARVED?!

I dont get it either, shes his parent she noticed the kid was being starved. Oh she was in a cult... how many oprahs or montels have we seen in our lifetime wghere a mother says I escaped to save my child

RmeWifey01
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM

He was 1 year old for cryin' out loud!!! Not ALL 1 year olds can talk. What the frig was she thinking? What a moron! Somebody make that bitch a sign to wear! (referencing Jeff Foxworthy...Here's your sign.)

mommywife06
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Exactly. She gets off for murder? Accomplice? Come on if I was the prosecutor I would of fought that aint no way in hell she would be walking out with nothing but counseling?!

Quoting faithfulmomof1:

Quoting mommywife06:

I dont get it either, shes his parent she noticed the kid was being starved. Oh she was in a cult... how many oprahs or montels have we seen in our lifetime wghere a mother says I escaped to save my child

faithfulmomof1
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM

thats bill envagal(sp?)

but ya I dont get it either, i cant believe the court did this what happens if she has another kid and this happens again

Quoting RmeWifey01:

He was 1 year old for cryin' out loud!!! Not ALL 1 year olds can talk. What the frig was she thinking? What a moron! Somebody make that bitch a sign to wear! (referencing Jeff Foxworthy...Here's your sign.)

faithfulmomof1
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:58 PM

bump

Angelbluewingsz
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 7:00 AM

if anyone else has been following the story then they already heard but what do you think about the fact she only agreed to plead guilty if they agreed that if the child was reincarnated she would be freed? To me that goes towards showing how brainwashed this girl was... I don't agree she should get off entirely but a 20 year sentence for a girl who was obviously not of sound mind is a bit harsh...   I heard somewhere that there is a group pushing for permanant sterilization of anyone convicted of crimes against children.. breeding more victims as it were.. what do you think?

Barefoot_Baby
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Sorry, but I don't even remember God telling us in the bible that if we DON'T say amen, we don't get to eat.  This child relied solely upon these people and they killed him over this.  This is not how God wants to be viewed.  This is insane.

br0kenscars
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 7:33 AM

That is absolutely horrible.  I can not believe that any judge or lawyer or whatever would give her a plea bargin at all .. she should be in jail for the rest of her life.. or in a straight jacket in a padded room.. that is insane...

I just.. wow. :[

retsillacam
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 7:35 AM

WTF!!!!!??????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)