Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone here a gardener? I have a question

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi, I'm hoping someone here knows a little about gardening. All the flowers and plants are on sale right now, and I'm wondering if it would be okay to purchase some of the perenialls and plant them. We live in Eastern Georgia if it helps. I'd love to buy the flowers for my (first!) garden next season but I don't want them to die if planting them now would do so. Any advice? Thanks alot!!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
RmeWifey01
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:44 PM

That's a DEFINATE NO! LOL Do not ever let me near a plant!!!  I just killed ALL of mine over the past 2 weeks! Sad but true. Here's a bump though. hehe

michelle121003
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Depends on the plant.  MOST should be fine to plant now.  Just let them grow for the rest of the season.  Before it starts getting colder, cut them back.  Like when the end of their growing season would be and you should have beautiful flowers in the spring/summer! 

What are you thinking of getting?

mrsjoeljr
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:33 AM

I'm noy really sure...there was a lot of decorative grasses, some lillies, and a few other things. I didn't have a lot of time to look, so I'll be going back later.

CafeMom Tickers
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Head Admin on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:17 PM

wave

Hi

You may also want to visit these CafeMom Groups:

Advice for Moms

Green Thumb Society

To search for other groups, click on Find Groups.

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

You can use the search bar at the top of every page to search for specific information.

Enjoy the site!

\\ The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:19 PM

they are on clearance for a reason...

Mover
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I have a huge garden of flowers. The best time to plant your bulbs, like tulips,lillys,daffodils is in the early Fall.  You can plant perrineals now and make sure to water them every day so their roots will grow.  They should come back in the Spring just fine.  The first Spring, there may not be a ton of flowers because the plant is trying to get established.  The following years you should have loads of flowers and they even spread out year after year.  Good luck.

Mover
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:25 PM

They are only on clearance now because they are bringing in the mums and stuff for Fall time.  The first year in our house, I bought 5 Blue Spruce trees on clearance.  They were really sad looking, but only $5 each.  All the trees survived and 5 years later growing big and tall.

Quoting Supervane:

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Where we live if its a clearanced plant its chance of living are slim to none. We have over 110 degree summers and winters in the 20's sometimes snow. Plus our climate is beyond dry so surviving plants are very few in the area I live in. Not to mention trees can easily burn the smoke and sudd from all of our wildfires. Here if you don't plant perenialls or annuals in their bloom time they'll die...

Quoting Mover:

They are only on clearance now because they are bringing in the mums and stuff for Fall time.  The first year in our house, I bought 5 Blue Spruce trees on clearance.  They were really sad looking, but only $5 each.  All the trees survived and 5 years later growing big and tall.

Quoting Supervane:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)