Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone had maxillomandibular advancement (jaw surgery for sleep apnea)

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:46 PM
  • 7 Replies

Long story short... I'm exaughsted, think I may have sleep apnea... I've read a lot online and talked to some moms on cm.  I think my jaw is recessed... it definately looks that way!  I don't snore, but I wake up unrested, I'm wiped out all day, drowsy while driving, nap when my dd does.. depressed about always being so exaughsted.  I want to go to a sleep clinic.

Any info, advice?  How do you know if your jaw is recessed.. xrays?  Anyone have before & after pics?  How did the surgery turn out?

Thank you : D

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ValiVal
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM

bumpity bump...

BRAND NEW GROUP, Click Here To Check It Out!!!

Michelle2080
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Wow, that is pretty major. What about process of elimination before surgery? Like the C-pap machine or braces to correct jaw alignment?

Michelle2080
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Since you don't know for sure if it is sleep apnea, have you thought about an iron deficiency? That can make you really tired. My grandma takes iron every day or else she is exhausted due to a lack of iron in her system.

ValiVal
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:58 PM

I've had tons of tests run for my hormones, iron, potassium, etc..  I'm seeing a naturopath and am on quite of bit of natural stuff.   I'm pretty sure this is sleep related.  I'm not saying its sleep apnea due to a recessed jaw.. I'm just toying around with the idea as a good candidate : )  I plan on going to a doc as soon as I can schedule it!

Quoting Michelle2080:

Since you don't know for sure if it is sleep apnea, have you thought about an iron deficiency? That can make you really tired. My grandma takes iron every day or else she is exhausted due to a lack of iron in her system.

BRAND NEW GROUP, Click Here To Check It Out!!!

Michelle2080
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Well I def think you have signs of sleep apnea, there is no doubt. It is great that you notice it and want to get it checked out. My dad has sleep apnea...his sleep study showed that he was waking up 100 times per minute!! He was falling asleep at his desk at work and wouldn't even know it. He uses the C pap machine and it is awesome. He noticed a difference after using it for one night! He said it was amazing the difference he felt. He has used it for at least 3 years now, if not longer. It's a life saver! 

ValiVal
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:05 PM

100 times a minute!!! wow!  I'm glad he found something helpful : )  I hope I get this figured out, lately I'm not handling it well emotionally.  Thanks for the responses!

Quoting Michelle2080:

Well I def think you have signs of sleep apnea, there is no doubt. It is great that you notice it and want to get it checked out. My dad has sleep apnea...his sleep study showed that he was waking up 100 times per minute!! He was falling asleep at his desk at work and wouldn't even know it. He uses the C pap machine and it is awesome. He noticed a difference after using it for one night! He said it was amazing the difference he felt. He has used it for at least 3 years now, if not longer. It's a life saver! 

LaPaBa
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:58 PM

I've had that surgery in 1987, but not for sleep apnea. It was for cosmetic reasons.

Paulathcat043.gif Animated Animals image by Keefers_animatedbackgroundbutterflies.gif animated butterfly image by autumnbreeze_2006

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)