Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are some ways to make vegetables more tasty for my kids?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:16 PM
  • 17 Replies

My kids will not eat vegies and to boot they will not try anything new.  I know about honey carrots and grated cheese over the top but i need some other ideas.  My kids need to eat vegies!  I have tried them in patties nup no good their either.  My eldest two are 5 and 2.  Anyone else go through this?

ARE YOU A MOM AGAINST CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE OR A SURVIVOR OF IT?
Come join my group - www.cafemom.com/group/momsagainstchildsexualabuse

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RmeWifey01
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Spinach & cheese pizza

Sweet potato french fries

Sweet potato baked with butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, & a touch of brown sugar.

Mashed potato with cheese melted in.

Caprese salad (tomato & mozzerella w/house italian or vinegar & oil)

Waldorf salad (apples,celery, & walnuts with mayo -I think)

Cornbread muffins with pureed veggies mixed & baked in.

Double.L
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM

You can puree carrots or really anything and store it in the fridge and add it to things like spagetti sauce etc, V8 juice, celery with peanut butter, let them sprinkle salt or dip carrots, cucumbers, brocli etc in ranch. I add the frozen veggies like peas into pasta/mac and cheese. Once I even let my son dip his carrots in ketchup because it got him eating them.

He's my star....and I'm his sky....

CheshireCat420
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Fruit smoothies. You can add celery, spinach, and carrots. Even plain yogurt. The sugary fruit covers the taste of the veggies. I'm sure there are other variations of veggies that can be added. I recently had to start doing the smoothies, because my son also refuses veggies.

Gwynevere

LEJOLIE
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM

VELVETTA? 

RypTyd1999
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM

they say if you call them things like "Super Carrots" or "Hero broccoli" that they'll eat them better.....make them into super hero things.  I dunno!! My son loves veggies....

Double.L
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I forgot this, fruit smoothies taste SO good and you cannot taste any veggies you add...even spinach!  I make one with plain yogurt, strawberries, blue berries, spinach, carrots, and a splash of OJ...its so good and you can add a ton of other stuff to.

Quoting CheshireCat420:

Fruit smoothies. You can add celery, spinach, and carrots. Even plain yogurt. The sugary fruit covers the taste of the veggies. I'm sure there are other variations of veggies that can be added. I recently had to start doing the smoothies, because my son also refuses veggies.

He's my star....and I'm his sky....

ceemuhreeashbee
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I know I'll probably get slapped for this but-

Butter.

My mom drains green beans, cooks them in like 1/4 cup of butter with bacon and it's freaking delicious. DD gobbles them down (then again, she does like veggies, but I was never a green bean eater and I love them)

a wedding website

I'm a breast/bottle feeding, co-sleeping the first year, kiss on the lips & tell her I love her every day kind of mom. I can let her CIO, but when she calls 'mommy' I'm on my feet and there in a heartbeat. I want my daughter to have many different experiences & to love everyone regardless of their's. I'm anti-abortion, for the right to bear arms, and completely against telling someone who they can and can't love.

mariscilla
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:47 PM

2  words, melty CHEESE =)... and lots of it.

lambchop1976
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 1:03 AM

These are all great ideas but what do you do if your kids won't even try new stuff?

29again
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 1:20 AM

Have you tried Ranch dressing on raw veggies?  I think every kid loves ranch!   I never had this problem, my kids wouldn't eat meat, unless it was fast-food.  I couldn't keep mine away from veggies.  In fact, 1 of my girls begged me for Brussell Sprouts when she was about 9!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)