Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I or Shouldn't I??? ........Get a Job????

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:16 PM
  • 16 Replies

That is the question of the night Ladies. Help me out here. Ok, I DON'T NEED to get a job because financially we're pretty good and holding our own. The thing is a 911 dispatcher job just became available and I WANT IT!!!  DH does NOT want me to work until our kids are in school full-time. They are 4 & 2, and the 4 y/o is in pre-school and will start back up next Monday. Yaaaaaay! Anyway, he mentioned the other day he does not EVER want me to work again. I am NOT liking that idea AT ALL!!! I have not been offered the job yet as I have the application sitting here beside me. What should I do? I THINK I really want to go for it. I'm not sure if it will be worth it though with paying daycare for 2 kids (PROBABLY during a night shift to start), and dh's attitude might change toward me. I am not sure if it is just me wanting to get out of the house, or wanting a paycheck of my own, or wanting to work in a police station again since I DO miss it. DH will be deploying next week for a year, but I could PROBABLY hire a college student to be our babysitter or live-in nanny.

IDK.........Advice Girls????

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elvir2babes
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Quoting RmeWifey01:

That is the question of the night Ladies. Help me out here. Ok, I DON'T NEED to get a job because financially we're pretty good and holding our own. The thing is a 911 dispatcher job just became available and I WANT IT!!!  DH does NOT want me to work until our kids are in school full-time. They are 4 & 2, and the 4 y/o is in pre-school and will start back up next Monday. Yaaaaaay! Anyway, he mentioned the other day he does not EVER want me to work again. I am NOT liking that idea AT ALL!!! I have not been offered the job yet as I have the application sitting here beside me. What should I do? I THINK I really want to go for it. I'm not sure if it will be worth it though with paying daycare for 2 kids (PROBABLY during a night shift to start), and dh's attitude might change toward me. I am not sure if it is just me wanting to get out of the house, or wanting a paycheck of my own, or wanting to work in a police station again since I DO miss it. DH will be deploying next week for a year, but I could PROBABLY hire a college student to be our babysitter or live-in nanny.

It all depends on you. I think it would be best if you spent most of these younger years with your kids, though.....

Divorced, Separated, Single or Widowed Moms! Check out this awesome group!! http://www.cafemom.com/group/ConfidentSingleMoms

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:18 PM

If this is something YOU want to try, go for it. Your DH cannot stop you from working if that's what you'd like to do.

zgirls009
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Are you mentally prepared to be a dispatcher?  It can be a rough job, but if you want it, go for it.

I was a nanny in college and loved it.  You may have to get a live in nanny depending on the hours they need a dispatch, which will make hiring someone a bit more tedious, but cheaper financially.

bolz08
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I think that you should at least apply...you might be doing all this stressing for nothing:)  While you should always watch the stress that any job change can put on a marriage, if this is something you really want(and it sounds like it is) you should TOTALLY DO IT.  If it really causes problems you can and should work through them....it seems like you two are not totally on the same page anyway...you might find you don't like it so much or he could totally love the woman that comes home at night!  Anyway, go for it and good luck.

lyranightshade
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Hun, I actually have an interview in my area for the same job in the morning! lol It IS a great job, and I have to tell you that I can't wait to have my own independence. To not have to ask for money when I want to get my hair cut or a new outfit... or even to go buy cigarettes... I need the stimulation and challenges of the real world. If in the end, it's going to satisfy you, go for it! If your hubby has a problem with it, well... that's HIS problem and he needs to respect that you aren't JUST a mother and a wife, you're also a woman who has desires and dreams of her own. A good husband will understand, support, and love you regardless of your decision.

schunmom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM

If it is something you want to do then do it because if you don't do it and you want to do it you won't be happy and if mommy's not happy nobody is happy.

NananRaysmom
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM

I was raised to never be dependant...even on a man.  So..I will always go with the get a job.  The way my kids dad and I did it was work opposite shifts so the kids didnt have to go to daycare.  I helped our household financially...and I had my own money...and we both had time with our kids.

The "community organizer" cant bitch when the community starts to organize.  Even when we start to organize against him!

brandithesuperm
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I say go for it..what can it hurt? I have to say my so used to be a dispatcher and it is a really hard stressful job. Here you had to have training they paid for his. But he would have to go to worshops or trainings for a week at a time. But he really liked it.

RmeWifey01
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM

See now THAT is where my dh is having a problem with it, but like I said, I highly suspect it will be mainly nights. I think I might be ok with that if I were to rearrange their bedtimes just slightly. I know the need me more while dh is deployed, but if he were to not make it back, I'd have to get a job anyway. Now if it is only part-time that would be even better. Idk, I'm torn.

Quoting elvir2babes:

Quoting RmeWifey01:

It all depends on you. I think it would be best if you spent most of these younger years with your kids, though.....

RmeWifey01
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:35 PM

LOL How true.

Quoting schunmom:

If it is something you want to do then do it because if you don't do it and you want to do it you won't be happy and if mommy's not happy nobody is happy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)