Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Please!!!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM
  • 6 Replies

so i was let go from my job with no warning but in our signed contract she was obligated to give me 2 weeks notice should i bring this up or leave it alone.. She also still owes me for 2 vacation days and honestly we NEED the money (we just bought a house and need to fix some leaks) what do you think?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
zgirls009
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Have you gotten your final check?  Go in and talk to HR about it.  Many times they will work with you to keep you from filing unemployment if someone screwed up.  And if your vacation days are paid, they may be legally required to pay you for them. 

ConnorsMom12406
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Bring it up. You are entitled to it. Esp if it is in your contract. They would want the same from you. My husband left his job on good terms and still had 40 hrs vacation and we brought it up to them and they paid him for it plus we got paid from his new job. it was nice!

sweetktn
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:36 PM

If it's in a contract they she owes you the two weeks as far as some places if you are let go with vacation days owing some don't pay for them. If she refuses to pay you then check with a lawyer most will listen to you and take a look at the contract for free. It may be worth pursuing probably on your own in conciliation court. Most states the fee is $50 - $70 and she would have to pay you back for the fees if you win. Chances are as long as you didn't breach the contract she'll lose.

Lilypie
LauraKW
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:39 PM

If you were let go for cause, you may forfeit those two weeks.  If that is not the case, then heck yes, bring up the contract.

Jkazy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:42 PM
Quoting LauraKW:

If you were let go for cause, you may forfeit those two weeks.  If that is not the case, then heck yes, bring up the contract.

I agree. If you didn't seriously screw up and give them a reason to let you go, then they violated a contract. Just like if a tenant leaves early...
SarahMerritt_22
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:57 PM

I was a private nanny for this family for 2 years we had a contract. she just stated in the email she sent me that she no longer needed me becasue her schedule changed but I feel she still owes me those 2 weeks atleast this came as a shock seeing as I worked pretty darn hard for them and put up with alot and super long hours for my pay and I even cared for her sick x husband when he had surgery .... I just dont want it to come across as me being bitchy but she really screwed our finances up!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)