Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carseat mommies I need some advice!!!

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:40 PM
  • 15 Replies

So my 2 year old was in a safety 1st carseat(not sure whice 1) but it was convertable. 5-22lbs RF 22-40FF 40-??Booster....Anyways a mouse chewed through his bottom buckle so I had to buy him a new one. I bought an Eddie Bower FF carseat FF 20-40 Booster 40-100.....Anyways I can't get the carseat secure no matter what I try. I use the seatbelt because we don't have the latch things in our car and I use the top strap to secure it but it doesn't seem to help at all....Any advice on what to do? When we get some more money we're gonna get him one that harnesses longer but until then I don't have a choice....Thanks in advance!!!

href="http://www.tickercentral.com">
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustMe0326
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Go to your local fire dept or police station. They will help you install it correctly or have an opinion on what you should do.

reelo
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:46 PM

There is a website, seatcheck.org, that has listing for car seat techs in your area.  You make an appointment and they will intall and check your seat for free (FYI not all firemen or policement are techs and many stations may not have one on duty at all).  In the meantime, how secure can you get it?  Is it tipping over or just wiggly? 

Cyndi310
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:51 PM

If it is just loose you know will move from side to side put your knee in the seat of the carseat and pull the belt as tight as you can, then use the gold cincher that should be on the back of the car seat to lock the belt in place. Good luck and you can also check out parents.com you know for the mag. and search car seats they usually have an article to help fix common problems.

blowing bubblesice creamboy on a swing

Angel       Doug         Liam

Mommys little bratts

MommaBunch84
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 11:59 PM

This right here!

Quoting Cyndi310:

If it is just loose you know will move from side to side put your knee in the seat of the carseat and pull the belt as tight as you can, then use the gold cincher that should be on the back of the car seat to lock the belt in place. Good luck and you can also check out parents.com you know for the mag. and search car seats they usually have an article to help fix common problems.

momma2-3boys
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Have you placed your weight into the car seat? Place a knee in the middle of the seat and tighten your seatbelt while placing weight into the seat. 

Barefoot_Baby
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 7:17 AM

Take it immediately to the local police department.  They will set it for you and if not, they often have free carseats they put into place.

Babe587
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 7:19 AM

Quoting JustMe0326:

Go to your local fire dept or police station. They will help you install it correctly or have an opinion on what you should do.

ShyGyrl
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 7:48 AM

Go to the fire department.  They will install it and replace parts your missing if they have them for free.

Cognito
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Good plan!

You shouldn't use the top tether to get a tighter install. It needs to be tight befor the top tether. I put a knee in, pull the shoulder part of the belt near the buckle to get slack out of the lap part & if your seatbelts don't lock you can use the locking clip. Then you check for movement at the belt path. It should move less than 1". Once you have a tight installation, you hook the top tether. Only remove the slack & don't overtighten.

If you still aren't confident with your install, the find a tech at www.safekids.org to help out.

Quoting MommaBunch84:

This right here!

Quoting Cyndi310:

I'm passionate about Carseat Safety. See why at www.kyledavidmiller.org.

Milo Emery 12-13-06 Safely Harnessed in a Britax Regent (3rd slots), Graco Nautilus (3rd slots) & Apex 65 (4th slots). He's a BIG boy!

Jareth Remy 5-6-08 Officially Extended Rear Facing in a Britax Boulveard, Graco Safe Seat Step 1 (middle slots) & Cosco Scenera. Considering the Graco My Ride 65 to replace the SS1.

Joslyns_mommy
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:26 AM

you might want to check with them first. We went to ours and they no longer do this! I was so upset! The cheif said it had to do with liability! That some people were complaining that it was not in right, after the fire dept checked it, even though the people removed the car seat after wards!

Quoting JustMe0326:

Jacky

http://ourstickybean.blogspot.com/

http://survivingthefirsttrimester.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/stephenandjacky

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)