Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What does protein in urine means ,should i be worried?

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 9:16 PM
  • 12 Replies

What does proteins in urine means,should i be worried? My 13 year old son went for check up last week,they took his blood work and urine.I got call from his dr. today,and she said he has high numbers with protein in his urine....she ordered take same test again on Monday...what does protein in urine means?!

by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reecenkaden
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I could just mean he needs to change his diet. Protein is urine is can be caused by having an abcess in your mouth, or needing to change your diet because your kidney's aren't discarding waste fast enough. Usually it's just a minor thing that can easily be treated/fixed. I'll keep you in my thoughts either way.

dancingpengiune.gif the dancer image by jjjohnnaThis Penguin Dances for Freedom From Religion
I got that BOOM BOOM POW!!!
Learn to Do It Your Own Damn Self

hautemama83
by Nichole on Aug. 14, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I found this online

Definition

By Mayo Clinic staff

Protein in urine (proteinuria), especially at higher levels, can indicate kidney disease or another serious condition. Protein in urine is usually discovered during a urinalysis — a test to analyze the content of your urine.

Your kidneys filter many substances, including waste products, from your blood. These waste products are then excreted in your urine. Normally, during this filtering process your kidneys retain components — including proteins — that your body needs. But some diseases and conditions can allow proteins to slip through the filters of your kidneys, causing protein in urine.

Low levels of protein in urine are normal, particularly in younger people after exercise or activity. Protein in urine discovered on a microalbumin test may often be the earliest sign of diabetic kidney damage.

Causes

By Mayo Clinic staff

Conditions that can cause a temporary rise in the levels of protein in urine include:

• Cold exposure
  • Emotional stress
  • Fever
  • Heat exposure
  • Strenuous exercise

Diseases and conditions that can cause persistently elevated levels of protein in urine include:

Causes shown here are commonly associated with this symptom. Work with your doctor or other health care professional for an accurate diagnosis.

When to see a doctor Definition
hannahsmommy309
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 9:20 PM
alee72
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM

thank you for those useful information..does it mean he is diabetic?He is eating healthy and is skinny,its not like he is overweight..but he does sports activities a lot.....

quirkyMOMof2
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I had proteine in My urine once turned out I had appendicitis.

alee72
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 9:30 PM

my younger brother had same thing,but his was taken out due of rapture and he was in lots of pain...My son is very active and healthy 13 y. old,this is 1st time his test came bad..thats why his dr. ordered same test again to make sure...I am really worried;-((

Quoting quirkyMOMof2:

I had proteine in My urine once turned out I had appendicitis.

heidi_val
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2009 at 9:52 PM

My doctor told me to drink more water and it should go away.  ? 

ChaoticX4
by New Member on Aug. 14, 2009 at 9:54 PM

It means the kidneys are not doing their job for some reason. My DD has a certain amount of blood and protein in her urine too....she has kidney issues.

Albino = a PERSON with ALBINISM. Put the person before the condition

mom2Bellarose
by on Aug. 14, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Last summer my 8 year old niece had protein show up in her urine and it turned out she was a  diabetic.

Try not to worry to much just yet. It could be nothing. Let the doctors retest and stay positive.

mlpritchett
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM

My 11 yo girls peditric Dr. called and stated my 11 yo daughter had proteinin her urine. Is this a sign of diebetes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)