Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Welfare fraud. Is it really a big deal?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:29 AM
  • 28 Replies

Just how serious is this? As in like how much trouble can one get in for committing welfare fraud. I am not talking about a debate about "why its bad and how it effects people that are in need" so please keep those opinions to yourself. This post is about what might actually happen to a person that does this. I am well aware of the many opinions of what people think of welfare in general because of the numerous other welfare posts. 

But here's the situation. Right now, my ex and I have joint custody and he has primary residence. He gets medicaid and food stamps for our kids. He received a ten thousand dollar check from me. He did not claim it in his assistance case. Nor did he claim it to Social Security and one of my sons is disabled and receives disability money. He didnt spend ONE DAMN DIME on my children!!! Acutally he took them to a concert (and I bought the tickets) where my thirteen year old son got offered DRUGS and asked to run away with some girl that looked about 17!! 

I buy all their school clothes, supplies, summer, winter clothes, field trips, give them money, pay my sons phone bill. Basically I completely take care of them financially, and pay child support and they are over my house twice as much as their fathers. The ten grand I gave him is gone, and the child support money doesnt go to the kids. I am so pissed. 

So I brought in my proof that he got this large amount of money from me to the assistance offices and social security offices. 

Someone told me he could go to jail for this. I want something done, but jail time woud really suck. Although I would retain residential custody of the boys again..... am I taking things too far? Hes trying to take me to court for more child support and this is a SMALLLLLL town, I have been hearing rumors that he is on cocaine.

I dont know what to do.

by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jafra_mommy
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:34 AM

It depends, what was the check for? If they consider it something like "child support" then he may not even have to claim it as part of his income. (Notice I said may...) But with a sum that large, if he was responsible for reporting it then yes, he could be looking at jail time.

kksmommy23
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:34 AM

My sisters SIL was getting checks from her ex husband when he was overseas with the army and she wasnt turning them in. When her ex husband got back he decided to try to get custody of the kids so he went and turned her in.  All they gave her was a slap on the wrist, they are making her pay back the extra she got and she cant get assistance for 12 months.  We are in Ohio.  Im sure your state will make a difference. 

kk_bella
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Yes, he could go to jail. He could also go to jail for failing to report it to the IRS. I can understand not wanting him in jail- he would lose his job, maybe his place to live, and it would be harder for him to get a job when he gets out.

But, you didn't know they were going to threaten jail when you turned him in. No, I don't think you are taking it too far.

allurasmamma
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:38 AM

Mt aunt committed welfare fraud. They went to her work and arrested her, fined her up to      $25,000.  She didn't even know that she was committing it. They overpaid her or something and she spent it she was in jail for a couple months but she will never be able to get help from them again. It is a federal crime I believe, which could land you a couple years in jail and fines out the ass.

All my love, All my life.

Madison,clayton,allura.

Ziggy-Stardust
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Im confused as to why you dont have residential custody of them already. Yes he could go to jail but they might ask him to pay back some money or something instead. It depends. Good luck though!

If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

brittcobb20
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:41 AM

First off,why are you paying him child support when you have joint custody and have the kids more?He should be paying you!

allurasmamma
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Now that I read the whole post. Anyone on welfare has to claim all earned and unearned income. He will go to jail for up to 5 years and The kids will come to you. I worry though, do you really wanna do this? He will be in alot of trouble! Social security I think will find out about the check and there is alot of trouble alone right there. I am pretty sure if he gets caught they will throw the book at him and he will get the max!

Madison,clayton,allura.

shadyangel42
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:43 AM

There is no question what to do!  Turn his ass in!  Do u really want him on cocaine around ur kids?? don't think so!

shay52085
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Bump 

DaniJones86
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I was wondering the same thing... although back when I was living at home my dad and mom had joint custody and my dad had to pay my mom... Apparently if one parent doesn't make enough to support the kids the parent with the money has to pay EVEN if it is joint.... I think it is a GAY rule

Quoting brittcobb20:

First off,why are you paying him child support when you have joint custody and have the kids more?He should be paying you!

Group Owner Breastfeeding Uncensored

Group admin. Young Old School Momma's

If you are young and like to keep things old School with the way you raise your children then come join our group.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)