Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What's the difference between pre-k and headstart?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 1:06 AM
  • 20 Replies
Well apparently my 4 year old doesn't qualify for pre-k but does for head start. Both are held at the same elementary my soon to be kindergartener(5yr old son) will be going to. Plus it seems that most the kids will do half a day head start then the next half in a pre-k class. Except my daughter and I don't know how many other children. I read through the headstart handbook and its got me wondering if I would have been better off not enrolling her( I thought I was enrolling her in pre-k) but she wanted to go to school to just like her brother. I should have asked more questions but I didn't think of any til after we left meet the teacher night.
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rhynestonefreak
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 1:10 AM

I always thought head start was for people who were on PA or children who were slower. That's how it was when I was in school, for kids that had english as a 2nd language and you had to be under a certain income.

toddler boyParker (6-1-07) baby boyColten (1-15-09) 

2boys_1girl
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Headstart is a federally funded program and in some communities is called ExCite...

Anyways, the main difference is lower income families can qualify whereas other families can't.

They get the same level of education (at least in my district)

crazymom21
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 1:17 AM
I don't know bc I'm not on PA. Though I did have to fill out a thing about our income. I thought though it was for Pre-k 4. In the hand book it says "Head Start is a comprehensive child development program which focuses on preparing children for enrty into kindergarten."
Lori_G4
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 1:29 AM

I think in GA the difference would be that Head Start is federally funded, while the 4K program is funded by the state's lottery. Would it be the same in all states? Are 4K programs only funded by the state? I don't think I've ever heard of a federally funded 4K program; I've only heard of Head Start....? In GA, the 4K children are selected based on either a first-come first-serve basis, or by a lottery system (depending on which district you are in). I believe Head Start only fills slots based on the income of the parent(s). In GA, both programs are essentially the same; they teach school appropriate social skills, standing in lines, raising your hand, and etc. They are not allowed to teach academics because not ALL 4-year-old children have the opportunity to attend, and they don't want to give the enrolled students an academical advantage.

Chris & Lori             Valerie-10             Brian-8                  Dalton-5           Maya-Jan 3, '08

I home school because I have seen the village, and I don't want it educating my children!

2boys_1girl
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Quoting Lori_G4:

I think in GA the difference would be that Head Start is federally funded, while the 4K program is funded by the state's lottery. Would it be the same in all states? Are 4K programs only funded by the state? I don't think I've ever heard of a federally funded 4K program; I've only heard of Head Start....? In GA, the 4K children are selected based on either a first-come, first-serve, basis, or by a lottery system (depending on which district you are in). I believe Head Start only fills slots based on the income of the parent(s). In GA, both programs are essentially the same; they teach school appropriate social skills, standing in lines, raising your hand, and etc. They are not allowed to teach academics because not ALL 4-year-old children have the opportunity to attend, and they don't want to give the enrolled students an academical advantage.

In my state- they can teach academics.

I am in Nebraska.

crazymom21
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 1:46 AM
I'm just going to have to talk to them on Monday. I'm in Texas
neenerashley
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 1:53 AM

Im in new mex here Headstart is for kids that English is a 2nd lang, low income, and learning disabilities. I wish i could get my DD into Prek but shes 2 months short the dead line :(

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

cheyeone
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 2:00 AM

it is here but it's also for kids who may not be ready for pre k yet and need a little more one on one to get ready for kindergarten and for kids with special needs.

I am on PA and my daughter went to regular pre k

in our community they have headstart, 4yr old kindergarten and 3yr old kindergarten omo 3 yr old kindergarten is just way too much.

Quoting Rhynestonefreak:

I always thought head start was for people who were on PA or children who were slower. That's how it was when I was in school, for kids that had english as a 2nd language and you had to be under a certain income.

all the siggys seem to say all theses beliefs that each mom has... I just believe that each of us raise our kids to the best of our abilities and pray they become responsible adults someday. so really does it matter if we erf or bf or ff or co-sleep or tummy sleep or are sahm or single moms who work 2 jobs to pay the bills. all that matters is we love our kids and want the best for them.

My girls Angel 13, Bella 6, and Dani (6/25/09)

Cherish77
by Cherish on Aug. 21, 2009 at 2:07 AM

In Cali, kids can be at Headstart by age 3.  My didtrict does not offer pre-k.  Wish they did though.  Pre-k as far as I know, your child has to be 4.

greenie11
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 3:06 AM

I know in my city in Iowa we couldn't get our daughter into HS b/c we make too much money, so I am pretty sure that it's for low income families. I think Pre-k would just be a way to describe preschool that you pay for...and believe me, it's expensive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN