Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

baby is hungry but won't eat...help!

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 2:58 AM
  • 11 Replies

my 6 week old is exclusively breastfed, and we've been having problems with her being fussy while nursing since day 1.  but today she simply won't eat at all.  she screams when i try to feed her but she tries to suck on everything else like she's starving.  what do i do?

Thanks for all the advice.  It ended up being over 9 hours before she ate anything...poor baby.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie

by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 2:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FaerieMommie23
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 3:00 AM

bump

RypTyd1999
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 3:00 AM

Maybe she's tired? My DD will suck on everything and act hungry when she's tired. She's 4 months old with a tooth, so BF is fun, especially when I think she's hungry but she's not, cuz she bites :-)  Paci?  Good luck Mama.....

sondamom0828
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 3:01 AM

Has your supply dried up?  Maybe try pumping and giving her a bottle.  If she still is fussy I would take her in.  She might have a ear infection or something else (not a good latch or something).

Gabeys_Mommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2009 at 3:01 AM

Do you have a pump? It got to the point where my nipples cracked and my son didn't want to latch anymore. I exclusively pumped after that.

mamaleah17
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 3:04 AM

Does she suck a couple times, then let go, then suck, let go? My 4 month old dd did this when she was first born for a couple weeks. She sucked on her hands like there was no tomorrow!

missjess23
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 3:06 AM

There is a wonderful bf group here with a LOT of info.  I'd go there for advice... 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
cs_1498
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Are you having a really strong let down today? I have a really strong let down and when I was nursing my twins they could not latch until I pumped a little bit first to ease the let down a bit. And if she has gotten to hungry you may want to try and pump an ounce or so, just a little bit and feed it to her from a bottle to settle her tummy then she should be more calm and willing to latch and nurse like she should, plus if it is your let down that will take care of both issues. But if it keeps up I would take her in and have her ears checked for an infection as that can cause feeding issues. Good luck and I hope you get her eating again soon.

Mama of twin girls

Samantha Nicole  October 28, 2006

Kalia Jade October 29, 2006

Baby # 3 Due in September 2009 It's a BOY!!!!

lovemymarine306
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 3:12 AM

we don't have any bottles because i don't own a pump...we haven't needed one.  my milk supply is at a good level...i'm very full because she's not eating.  and when i put her to my breast, in any position, she won't try to eat at all...just scream. her doctor is concerned that she might have reflux and she has an appt on tuesday.  but i don't know what to do until then...i don't want her to go hungry.  she's always had a good latch and been a good, but very fussy, eater.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie

boy_or_girl
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 3:14 AM

There are a few medical reason that can cause this. Ear infection, gas pains (needing to burp), and upset tummy from maybe Reflux. My son does this also. He is fussy and whiney while eating. I have tried Gripe Water and 1/4 tsp of Mylanta. Both seem to help, but the Gripe water although the natural alternative is the harder one since it is supposed to be 1 tsp and it is hard to get him That seems to help too. If you have milk still coming in, I would say it is one of these medical reasons. Does your baby burp easily, or is it hard to get her to burp. You can try to stop and burp her when she is fussing while feeding. I would go ahead and try the gripe water which you can find at a pharmacy, not sure if walmart has it, and you can get mylanta any where. I have used this with both my kids, as they both had stomach problems from day one. The doctor is the one that told me to give it to them. Good Luck.

boy_or_girl
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 3:16 AM

As I just posted above, since the doctor thinks it is reflux, give her the 1/4 tsp. of Mylanta. It will help immensely. My son's doctor had me give it to him as needed even after getting prescription medications for his reflux. It is great and works fast. My son was only 1 month when the doctor told me to give him mylanta, so it should be fine for your 6 wk old.

Quoting lovemymarine306:

we don't have any bottles because i don't own a pump...we haven't needed one.  my milk supply is at a good level...i'm very full because she's not eating.  and when i put her to my breast, in any position, she won't try to eat at all...just scream. her doctor is concerned that she might have reflux and she has an appt on tuesday.  but i don't know what to do until then...i don't want her to go hungry.  she's always had a good latch and been a good, but very fussy, eater.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)