Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is that supposed to mean??? Is this wierd or just me??

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:18 AM
  • 27 Replies

OK...you ladies seem to be a relatively open group, so I will ask you all this. We have two neighbors 3 houses up from us. It's 2 guys in their 40's that are just roommates.  They have been coming by and we've (my husband and I) stricken up a friendship with them both.

Friday night one of them came by to smoke a cigg (he saw me sitting there and came up to have one). He had been drinking and was a little buzzed. He said something that just struck me as freaking whacked, and I dont know how to take it. I'd love your input on this; here's what he said: (We were talking about families and he made the comment "I guess I was never meant to marry or have kids," but then he stopped himself to add this....) "well I do have a daughter; she's 18. Man, is she gorgeous. It wouldn't surprise me if I opened a playboy and there she was in the centerfold!"

Ok, WTF? That cant be a FATHER'S reaction to his own daughter. I mean, my girls are beautiful too, but I dont and never thought, dang, their so pretty they could be in playboy! Isnt there something wrong there, or am I reading too much into it? We have 4 kids and I'd hurt the man if he even looked weird at my kids. I'm a survivor of child molestation/rape, so I'm uber sensitive to this subject. I spoke with my hubs and told him and he thought it was odd too.....

What say you????   

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:25 AM

If he isnt too close to her, I wouldnt think it is odd.  Now if he had a hand in raising her from birth then i would hope he has higher aspirations than playboy for her.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:26 AM

that is a wierd comment but I think he was just trying to give you an idea of how beatiful his daughers was. Some men have a horrible way with words.

mrs.curtis07
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:28 AM

ummm... that's... odd.  i've never heard a father of a DAUGHTER say something like that.  and it's weird that he forgot about her at first and then had to correct himself.  hmmm...

Wife to Brandon since 02.16.07 * Mommy to Emma Sue 12.27.07 * Henry Bishop is on his way!  EDD: 11.04.09*

I'm a proud U.S. Army combat veteran.

Lauren24
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:43 AM

I think some Dad's are just weird. For example I was flipping through the TV the other night and that VH1 show "Brooke Knows Best" was on. She was performing in Miami on a stripper pole in front of 1000s of people wearing nothing and her Dad was cheering her on in the front row. I thought that was soooo bizarre and my DF (we have a 1 year old DD together) was like hell no.

poopedmomof4
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:43 AM

That's precisely what I thought as well.

I do think I have a tendency to over evaluate situations though from my childhood experience, so that's why I've asked. He's not close to her from what I gather. I cant help it's weirded me out, and he has picked up on me feeling off when he's around. Every time he comes by I must freeze up, because he came by today and asked me if I was ok, that I seemed a little put off. I dont want to be mean or assume, but I must admit I'm a little freaked out.....

Quoting mrs.curtis07:

ummm... that's... odd.  i've never heard a father of a DAUGHTER say something like that.  and it's weird that he forgot about her at first and then had to correct himself.  hmmm...

AidensMommy20
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Some people just get so obsessed with their own children, they will say anything, but it sounds like he didnt play a very vital role in her life and probably doesnt know her too well on a personal level, but that is pretty weird to say!!!

poopedmomof4
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:47 AM

That is weird! My sister danced for a period of time, and the one time I went by her club to have a drink with her for my B-day I almost yanked her ass off the stage. I even yelled at some guy who was getting a little too close to her...yeah...I had to leave or I was going to jail for assault...and that was just my sister! Thinking that way about your daughter is just strange. Why not say (if he WAS just trying to get at how pretty she is) she's so gorgeous it wouldnt surprise me to see her become a run way model or run for Miss America!!?? 

Quoting Lauren24:

I think some Dad's are just weird. For example I was flipping through the TV the other night and that VH1 show "Brooke Knows Best" was on. She was performing in Miami on a stripper pole in front of 1000s of people wearing nothing and her Dad was cheering her on in the front row. I thought that was soooo bizarre and my DF (we have a 1 year old DD together) was like hell no.

Cinderelly628
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:50 AM

I think that is a strange comment. Most father's are very protective of their daughters and would be upset if their daughter was in Playboy.. kinda weird...

Lilypie - (gXbo)

Alison_C
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Some people can say the craziest stuff when they drink. I think he may have made a bad choice of comparison for her, or he's reflecting on her personality as well as her looks. Mostly, I think it's the alcohol.

mrs.star80
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Wow! You don't find that effing whacked? If my dad said something like that about me or sis I would puke. To the OP I would raccomend stopping the friendship. You do have daughters and if he views his own child like that immagine what could go through his mind about your kids. They are beautiful girls.

Quoting frndlyfn:

If he isnt too close to her, I wouldnt think it is odd.  Now if he had a hand in raising her from birth then i would hope he has higher aspirations than playboy for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)