Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL nIGHT MARE--long vent

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:28 AM
  • 12 Replies

SO  today the entire house hold went back to school, kids, dad (teacher), mother (college student). In the middle of my class my phone is going off like crazy. It alternates between txt and call. So I step out and listen to my voice mail (I had 5 of them).

"Hey sis, what time is Isaiah getting home from school?"

"Hey sis call me cause Isaiah never came home from school."

"Hey sis, Umm It's almost 4 and he's still not home have you called the school to see what's going on? Never mind i'm driving up there?"

"HEY! I'M FREAKING OUT HERE! HE'S NOT AT THE SCHOOL AND HE'S NOT AT THE HOUSE! CALL ME!"

"Woman answer your damn phone your kid is lost! Do I call police or what?! Call me"

now my brother is watching the kids while my hubby makes his way home. I call the school and he's right they don't know where he is and they thought he rode the bus home like he was supposed to. As soon as I get off the phone with the school my brother calls me and said "We found him. Some lady and little girl dropped him off. He was at their house."

After talking to me son I discovered that the bus he rode last year didn't exist anymore so his little friend suggested that he ride her bus home and then her mom would give him a ride home. To a 3rd grader this was a very good plan.

I explained to my son that the next time he isn't sure which bus to ride or where to go, he should ask his teacher or the office staff and they would make sure he is on the correct bus.

He's grounded for not calling one of us and letting us know what he was going to do. I'm not going to spaz out and go crazy on him because he realized that he was wrong and he now knows what to do. I did ground him from chocolate milk, tv and video games (his 3 most favorite things). He realized that when in doubt ask an adult.

My poor brother nearly had a heart attack. Don't get me wrong I too was freaking out I was scared out of my mind. I'm so glad it wasn't something real bad. It's so scary how we take things for granted and don't realize how easy we could loose what is the most valuable jewel in our lives. Mommas hug your babies and tell them you love them tonight.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaelaasmom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Last year I put my daughter on the bus that the bus garage told me to and it took her to the wrong school. Talk about panicking.

CafeMom Tickers

I am a non-ERF, can't wait to drop the booster, breast-fed til 6 weeks, Nestle formula using, pro-choice, Independent, open-minded, gay marriage supporting, CIO, NON-AP, former Marine mom to the only perfect child on Earth. Don't tell me how to raise my kid, and I won't tell you what's wrong with yours!

buzymommy24_7
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:35 AM

I know how you felt.
I hate it when a bus makes several stops. One year there was a shortage on bus drivers so the bus driver would take 1/2 the students to one school and the other 1/2 to another. Parents complained enough so the district had to hire more drivers. It was chaotic for the first 2 months because of it.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Last year I put my daughter on the bus that the bus garage told me to and it took her to the wrong school. Talk about panicking.

mlg87ok

I am just glad you found him and he was at a friends house. I could only imagine what what going through your head. I know I would be calling the police if that happened.

party_of_5

Wow that's scary!! Glade he's ok & found safe & sound.

a_and_j_momma
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:40 AM
I'm glad he's ok. Not to be a B but I think that you should have made sure he knew which bus to get on or where to go. He's only in 3rd grade and that's a lot of responsibility to put on a little kid. He did good for his age I think. The first day is overwhelming for young kids any way bc of the new teachers, different class to remember to go to, new kids in class, and the mad dash to get home. Not bashing, just hoping you see it in a new way :)
Kaelaasmom
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:40 AM

Quoting buzymommy24_7:

I know how you felt.
I hate it when a bus makes several stops. One year there was a shortage on bus drivers so the bus driver would take 1/2 the students to one school and the other 1/2 to another. Parents complained enough so the district had to hire more drivers. It was chaotic for the first 2 months because of it.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

See we have 6 elementary schools and they each have their own buses. They simply put my daughter on the wrong route.

CafeMom Tickers

I am a non-ERF, can't wait to drop the booster, breast-fed til 6 weeks, Nestle formula using, pro-choice, Independent, open-minded, gay marriage supporting, CIO, NON-AP, former Marine mom to the only perfect child on Earth. Don't tell me how to raise my kid, and I won't tell you what's wrong with yours!

Cherish77
by Cherish on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Wow, that would scare the shit out of me.  It will be a bit different this year, dd goes home with the big kids now,because she is in 1st grade now, so I hope they put her on the right bus.

a_and_j_momma
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:45 AM
Oh one more thing. I would complain to the school and tell them the teachers should be putting them on the right buses or know which ones they should be on
buzymommy24_7
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:45 AM

I wasn't really upset with him that's why I didn't spaz out on him. I'm more upset with the school because for the past few years it was the same bus number. He knew what bus to get on and where to get off. We have a routine that we have used for a while. THis year they changed the bus numbers and didn't inform the parents.

And you are right I should have asked if anything changed.

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

I'm glad he's ok. Not to be a B but I think that you should have made sure he knew which bus to get on or where to go. He's only in 3rd grade and that's a lot of responsibility to put on a little kid. He did good for his age I think. The first day is overwhelming for young kids any way bc of the new teachers, different class to remember to go to, new kids in class, and the mad dash to get home. Not bashing, just hoping you see it in a new way :)

hholllyy426
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:57 AM

I've always been afraid of something like that happening to my son, sometimes he would take his sweet time walking to the house from the bus stop and I would have to go looking for him.

I am glad that your son is home safe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)