Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't understand this...PA post...

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:47 AM
  • 11 Replies

So within a months time my Dad has been diagnosed with pretty much every cancer you could possibly have with just a couple exceptions. Hes got stomach, liver, kidneys, bones, muscles, lungs and the left side of his brain (from the last time they did a scan).

So obviously all of our lives have been turned upside down especially his. He can NO longer work so he went from bringing home 1500.00 a week down to maybe 100 bucks a week. Hes got a mortgage, car payment, insurance etc. Basically your everyday bills for most.

My Dad WAS a truck driver but considering the circumstances he can't go back to work. So he swallowed his pride and went down and applied for P.A and surprise, surprise he was declined.

I don't understand the people that are in DIRE need of help get declined for PA but that *SOME* of the people that could very obviously do WITHOUT have no freaking problem getting approved for it.

Im so sick of the people taking advantage of shit. Its pathetic and sick! So if you are one of those people THANKS A LOT for screwing it over for the people that really need it!  

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sirenabella
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:25 AM

I'm sorry. Almost the same thing happened to my grandfather. Several cancers. Getting denied for various PA. Hugs.  

MaryD621
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:27 AM

I am soooo with you!!!!!!  It sucks and i'm sorry that it had to happen to your family!!!!  ((HUGS))

MikeysMom51108
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:29 AM

I'm sorry about your dad....

I know what you mean though. My mom has a thyroid problem. They think it's cancer, but she can't afford all the tests they need to run. She can't afford her medication either, so she's no longer taking it. She's not allowed to work or even lift over 5 pounds. They don't want her losing any more weight (she lost 70 pounds in 3 months, and is still losing despite doing nothing but eating and sleeping all day).

She can't get any type of help at all.

LuvmySFSGT
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Has he applied for disability?

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Yeah  it stinks when people abuse it make it harder for the people who really need it to get any help  How did they come to the conclusion he doesnt need any help?

hugs

silla710
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:32 AM

That is so crazy! Im sorry you have to go threw that to!

Quoting MikeysMom51108:

I'm sorry about your dad....

I know what you mean though. My mom has a thyroid problem. They think it's cancer, but she can't afford all the tests they need to run. She can't afford her medication either, so she's no longer taking it. She's not allowed to work or even lift over 5 pounds. They don't want her losing any more weight (she lost 70 pounds in 3 months, and is still losing despite doing nothing but eating and sleeping all day).

She can't get any type of help at all.

momof525
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:33 AM

I agree that really sucks! I can't imagine why he wouldn't qualify. But also....if those people you are referring to didn't get it, he still wouldn't qualify.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
silla710
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:33 AM

They know he needs the help but they consider the pay that he has made to much...

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yeah  it stinks when people abuse it make it harder for the people who really need it to get any help  How did they come to the conclusion he doesnt need any help?

hugs

Mily4
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:38 AM

I feel for you and your family.  We were declined for PA a few years back.  On the statement they sent back to us declining it, they said my 5 and 7 year olds made too much money to recieve it....not sure how that works, but I know what you mean.  My husband has a heart condition, but has had to stay working at the job he's at when he shouldn't be, because we need the insurance for our kids.  I'm so sorry about your dad....

marywilliams
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:41 AM

He should apply for disability, he'd probably have better luck with that than anything else.   I'm sorry you all are having such a hard time.  Disability is kind of tricky - they usually turn down everyone the first time so you have to appeal.  Might be worth looking into an attorney that will only charge if you win.  Watch out for firms that "specialize" in disability since they usually make you do all the work for them.  You could do the same thing without paying them or find an attorney that will actually earn the fee!

Unfortunately, most public assistance will use the previous year's income for qualification instead of current circumstances.  I can understand how in certain cases that is best, but if your dad has restrictions from his doctors and proof that he is no longer making that kind of money there should be something out there.

I hope there is something you can find to help him out.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent. www.cafemom.com/group/2undertwo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)