Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dopplegangers- have you seen yourself?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:49 AM
  • 19 Replies

A doppelgangerdoppelgangerdoppelganger, also spelled doppelgaenger, can be the ghost of a living person or any other sort of physical double. The idea of a doppelgangerdoppelgangerdoppelganger is sometimes similar to that of an "evil twin." The word doppelgangerdoppelgangerdoppelganger comes from the German Doppelgaenger, literally meaning "double-goer."

There are many different types of doppelgangerdoppelgangerdoppelganger, as the definition of the term has become somewhat loose, encompassing any sort of double. The doppelgangerdoppelgangerdoppelganger may be ghostly or appear in the flesh. It may be an "evil twin" unknown to the original person who causes mischief by confusing friends and relatives, or it may be the result of the original person being in two places at once through an act of sorcery. Scientists at the University Hospital in Geneva, Switzerland discovered that electrical stimulation of the brain, used to treat epilepsy, can produce the sensation of a doppelgangerdoppelgangerdoppelganger's presence in the patient.

In folklore, the doppelgangerdoppelgangerdoppelganger is said to have no shadow or reflection, much like vampires in some traditions. Doppelgangers are often malicious or a bad omen, and they can haunt their earthly counterparts. They may also give bad advice or put thoughts in their victim's heads. Seeing one's own doppelgangerdoppelgangerdoppelganger or the doppelgangerdoppelgangerdoppelganger of a friend or relative is considered very bad luck, often heralding death or serious illness of the doppelgangerdoppelgangerdoppelganger's original.

Doppelgangers appear often in various types of fiction, from mistaken identity plots in novels and plays to more supernatural doppelgangerdoppelgangerdoppelganger phenomena in works of science fiction, fantasy, and horror. There are many famous accounts of doppelgangers in history as well. Guy de Maupassant's short story Lui (Him) tells of the writer's own experience with a doppelgangerdoppelgangerdoppelganger. English poet John Donne claimed to have met his wife's doppelgangerdoppelgangerdoppelganger in Paris shortly before his daughter was stillborn. Poet Percy Bysshe Shelley and President Abraham Lincoln both saw doppelgangers that presaged their death; Shelley in a dream and Lincoln in his mirror.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaPaBa
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:50 AM

wheew what a big word...LOL

Paulathcat043.gif Animated Animals image by Keefers_animatedbackgroundbutterflies.gif animated butterfly image by autumnbreeze_2006

tdmag
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Haha!

Quoting LaPaBa:

wheew what a big word...LOL

samthecat001
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:54 AM

i am not superstitious, nor do i really believe in ghosts and demons and all that...but for some reason reading this post gave me the heebs!
maybe its cause i am thinking twighlight zone - - you know the one where the chick sees herself when she's at the bus station.

The book of the bible "Revelation" is really what will happen
should we anger Chuck Norris.

LaPaBa
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:55 AM

I don'tguess I've ever seen one of those. Ya know my husband and I took my 16 yr old to a cemetery in the next town over from us. We had gone there last year and saw a grave that was out of the ordinary, on the tomb was written Angel of Death. So, this weekend we wanted ot go and get pix of this grave. We looked for over an hour in the area where we had remembered seeing it last time. But several huge pine trees had fallen and this cemetery is on a big hill that drops off, the grave was no longer findable. So that was very odd.

Paulathcat043.gif Animated Animals image by Keefers_animatedbackgroundbutterflies.gif animated butterfly image by autumnbreeze_2006

LaPaBa
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:56 AM

I like spooky, paranormal, ghost stories, etc.

tdmag
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:56 AM

OMG, I saw that when I was little and it scared me for years!

Quoting samthecat001:

i am not superstitious, nor do i really believe in ghosts and demons and all that...but for some reason reading this post gave me the heebs!
maybe its cause i am thinking twighlight zone - - you know the one where the chick sees herself when she's at the bus station.

psychmama
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Wow, I though doppleganger had something to do with weather and radar.

Whoops! lol

tdmag
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Oooo, me too!

Quoting LaPaBa:

I like spooky, paranormal, ghost stories, etc.

tdmag
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Thats doppler-radar, LOL.

Quoting psychmama:

Wow, I though doppleganger had something to do with weather and radar.

Whoops! lol

samthecat001
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:59 AM

the scariest one is the one where the hitchhiker is following the chick whos driving ... he's all creepy - then she adjusts her rearview mirror and WAMMO BAMMO!!!!!!! there he is..in the backseat.   then she finds out she DIED.  omg.
fuckity fuck mcfuckerson that scared the shit out of me.

"....i believe....you're going...MYYYY WAAAY"

Quoting tdmag:

OMG, I saw that when I was little and it scared me for years!

Quoting samthecat001:

The book of the bible "Revelation" is really what will happen
should we anger Chuck Norris.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)