Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting to get worried.

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:56 AM
  • 23 Replies

I used to think I was lucky because my DD would sleep in pretty late...normally around 9 or 10....and she would go to bed between 7:30 and 8:30. Then she would also take 2 naps a day...between 1 and 4 hours total. Meaning she was sleeping 16-19 hours a day. Her pediatrician said it was fine.

So for the past month...month and a half she has been sleeping even later...usually til 11 sometimes even noon or one o'clock. I have tried waking her up earlier but when I do she will be cranky and just cry and cry and say "night night...pwease night night". I thought it was just a growth spurt or something but now I am worrying.

Today she woke up at 10 I gave her breakfast...she laid back down at 10:30...woke up at 2...I gave her lunch...she was up until 5...when she wanted to go "night night" again, We had to wake her up at 7 to give her dinner she was up for 45 minutes and then wanted to go back to bed.

There have been days where we just would not take her to bed when she wanted to...and just tried to keep her busy...but she will literally cry and fuss all day...

She just turned 2 in July.

I plan on calling her pedi tomorrow and talk more in length about this...I just don't want to sound like a dumb ass.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlg87ok
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:01 AM

It sounds normal to me, I have a 2yr old and 18mo old, and they go through spurts like this every once in a while. I thought something was wrong at first but then it only lasted about 2wks at a time and then they went back to their normal schedules. But if you are really worried, it doesn't hurt to call the doctor.

dswarila
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:04 AM

It doesnt sound normal to me. but my ds is only 6months old. I think you should definitely talk to your pediatritian.

chiquis
by Diamond Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:05 AM

My son turned 2 in July. And honestly I am lucky if he sleeps 8-10 hours straight. And he does not nap usually either. So ME yes I'd be worried a bit. Seems like too much sleep to me. But because none of mine ever slept so much .. but for others it might be normal.

cjsmom0206
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:08 AM

My oldest would do that once in awhile. Once he turned 1, he did not nap anymore, but occasionally he would go through a sleeping spurt much like you dd. I would still call just to make sure. 

butterflyblu
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:29 AM

I would be worried too.  That doesn't sound normal.  My son is 21 months and goes to bed around 9 p.m. and sleeps until 7:30-8 in the morning.  He takes 1 nap in the afternoon for 2-3 hours.  This has been his schedule for months.   It wouldn't hurt to make an appointment.  I would always err on the side of caution.   That's a lot of time to be sleeping for a 2 yr old. 

hholllyy426
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:30 AM

my son would only sleep like that if he was sick and had a fever. i don't know if you noticed if she was sick or not. It doesn't hurt to call her pedi.

melimommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Aww Momma don't ever feel stupid to ask the Doc a question. If it's for your baby nothing is too dumb to mention. I am sure he has heard it all. I can't tell you how many poop questions I have asked my sons Pedi about lol.

If you feel worried enough, you are her Mommy and you are the first to sense something is off, better then the Doc can. You should keep bringing it up until you feel you have the right answer or conclusion for your daughter.

My son sleep a lot also and went through a phase where he slept a lot, he still sleeps about 14-15 hours per day and he is 2. But I would definitley look more into it just in case and for peace of mind.

I hope he is a happy and healthy little girl!

norasmama
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:34 AM

i know all kids are different, but neither of my girls have ever done that (as much as i wish they would!!!).

is there anything else going on? is she eating the same or more than normal? when she is up does she seem weak? is she pale? are her glands swollen?

Cinderelly628
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:34 AM

My son only sleeps like that when he sick. Now, he goes to bed at 9, wakes up at 7:30 and takes a nap for 2 hours in the afternoon. It never hurts to get her checked out just to make sure.

Lilypie - (gXbo)

LuvmySFSGT
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:44 AM

Quoting hholllyy426:

my son would only sleep like that if he was sick and had a fever. i don't know if you noticed if she was sick or not. It doesn't hurt to call her pedi.

She didn't feel hot so I never thought to take it.

I just went in and took it 5 times...each reading between 95.1 and 95.7.

I tested the thermometer on myself and I am coming up in normal range at 98.2. So the thermometer is working.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)