Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Decorating a toddlers room?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:53 AM
  • 5 Replies

I'm thinking for my sons Bday (well more for me getting over DS growing up lol) I might just go ahead and change his room to a more 'toddler-like' room. He'll be 1. I'm thinking about removing the change table etc. and adding some actual furniture, maybe a little set of table and chairs for his to color on, another chest, his own special toy organiser thingy, big boy blankets & pillows and all that jazz. lol.

He's already walking and talking (singing and forming semi-recognisable words lol). Did you still use the 'baby' things like change table and so on when your child was over 1. I want to make his room something that will last untill at least school age (decor wise). I would love to theme it, but i know he's not going to so into Yo Gabba Gabba! and Elmo when he's a 5 year old....does it seem like I'm jumping the gun. I'm just trying to get excited about the next step in his growing up and he has such a  'baby nursery' at the moment, we barely spend anytime in there.

hmm..I don't know.. any thoughts, Should I keep the nursery furniture in there a tad longer.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MadameReeseCup
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:56 AM

Well, we changed everything around at 18 months, when he went into a toddler bed.  We got rid of our changing table then too.  It just took up space and was unnecessary.  Have fun decorating..that is one of my favorite things to do! 

"I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in
primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe
that loving is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing. I believe
that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is
another day and I believe in miracles." ~Audrey Hepburn

NIKopotamous
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:56 AM

My daughter is almost 17 months and we still use her changing table several times a day.  I plan to redo her room when she turns 2.  We will be getting her a new bedroom set with a twin bed and such.  And we will use the nursery set for the new baby.  :)

Good luck with your remodel!

Also, we are doing DD's tot room in ladybugs, that way it will grow with her and not something like Dora or Princesses that she might outgrow in a year or two.  IMO.

Nik

dusky_rose
by Sue on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:11 AM

I wouldn't get rid of the changing table just yet unless you don't use it. My son is 25 months and we still use his changing table. I plan on keeping it there until he gets potty trained. But I know what you mean about wanting to decorate. I bought some of those wall decals for my son's room (with a sports theme to put around the room and some with a zoo animal theme that I put over his bedroom window). His room is blue with gold stars (on the quilt holder and the curtain pulls and star border at the top of the room) and doesn't really have one theme other than that. I like your ideas for adding a table and other big boy stuff, but I got to tell you that if your son is anything like mine, that he will just climb on whatever you put in there. At least thats been my experience with boys. Not so much with girls but boys, look out! LOL

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:31 AM

haha   Unfort.  We still have the changing table and use it as her clothes storage shelves. A theme that boy usually like is cars and trains and that can last until early elementary years.  I would get rid of (donate if you can) anything that you dont use to make room for things he and you will use in the bedroom.

CafeMom Tickers
Ma2mase
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 6:38 AM

Thanks ladies. You've been really helpful. I think I will leave the change table, it doesn't take up too much space and I can use it for extra storage in the room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)