• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Gates

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:45 AM
  • 5 Replies

How old was your child when baby gates became ineffective?  My son is 26 months and for several months the pressure mount gates have been useless, b/c he just bulldozers through them.  We have 2 hardware mount gates, one across the hallway upstairs and one between the kitchen and the living room.  The one upstairs is mounted in such a way that we can also swing it across his door at bedtime.
The problem I've run into now is that he's learned to unclasp and swing open the hardware mount gates.  He's safe going up and down stairs, but I don't want him in my room or the bathroom upstairs and he gets into EVERYTHING in the kitchen. 
What do I do now?  We tell him what's expected and that he needs to stay out of the kitchen, and we put him in time out when he doesn't listen.  We praise him when he does what we ask and doesn't go in the kitchen, yet he keeps going in there and getting in to everything.  What do I do now?

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mom2jngnc
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:48 AM

I never really used the pressure mounted gates, I live in an older house so my doorways are uneven.

I don't remember with my 2 oldest, my 3rd we took the gate between the DR and Kitchen down when he knew to stay out of the dog food.... and the one for the bottom of the stairs when he could climb over it. They are still keeping my 22 month old where he needs to stay.... for the moment. 

Wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, Christopher and Alexander 

"Your stupidity is my husbands job security."

mamapotter
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:53 AM

When my girls were little I had cabinet locks that were two strip of plastic that looped over each handle and came together in a little box in the middle, with buttons to push to release them.  Is it possible that you could use something like this to loop around the rungs on either side of the opening part of the gate, so that even if he unlatches it he can't swing it open?  Otherwise, my only idea would be to put doorknob covers on your bedroom and bathroom doors so he can't get in.

Dr. Phil said that the secret to inner peace was to finish everything you started.  So I looked around the house, finished the book I wanted to read, my old Prozac prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, and a bottle of Jack Daniels.  You wouldn't believe how calm I am now.
lilay
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Thankfully my DD has very little interest in our gates so this has not been an issue for us. She did figure out or kitchen cabinet latches so we had to buy the ones where you need to use the key to open them. Maybe there is another hardware mounted gate with a different locking mechanism that would keep your DS at bay a little longer.  

Lilypie

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
snoopy21276
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:08 AM

here are my 2 tips LOL

1. can you mount them up higher?? just enough he can't get under it but make it more difficult to reach and unlatch??

2. my monkey of a son figured out how to stick his toes in the grid and scale the gate by 11 months old.. so we took a cookie sheet and christmas ribbon ( as it was in december LOL) and i attached the cookie sheet to the cover the gate so he couldn't scale it anymore.. i know that won't help you .. but it may someone else :) 

mom2ljh
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:15 AM

That's a good idea, but I think to mount it high enough that he can't unlatch it will make it so he can crawl under.  I'll take a look later and see what I can do.  He's tall though, and crazy skinny, so he wouldn't need much room to crawl under.  *ugh*  I mean, I'm glad his fine motor and gross motor skills are right on target and he's being curious, its normal, but geez, he needs to stay out of things, LOL.

Quoting snoopy21276:

here are my 2 tips LOL

1. can you mount them up higher?? just enough he can't get under it but make it more difficult to reach and unlatch??

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)